Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate w2k Standalone file server to a w2k8r2 standalone

Hi,

I'm lokking for a way to migrate local users and shares from a w2k sp4 server to a w2k8r2 standard server.

I should stay in a workgroup enviroment, no AD.

I've around 50 users on the source server.

The data migration is not a problem, i can recreate shares and use robocopy to move the files.

I dont know how to migrate the local users, i can dump the users list and import on the new server, but the users will get (obviously) a new sid, so the old acl's on the folders will not be applied.

I've searched in the file server migration tool whitepaper, but i didnt see any migration path (regarding users accounts) from a 2k box to 2k8r2.

My very last resort it's to dcpromo both the servers, do an AD migration to migrate users\groups maintaining the acl since the users will have their sid-history.

Thanks in advance

Tano

Re: Migrate w2k Standalone file server to a w2k8r2 standalone

Well I suggest to migrate to AD instead and to upgrade the W2K system first.
    I'm not very fond of not using AD in environments larger then a home network....
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

hi,

I think i'm gonna:
      - dcpromo the 2k server,
      - upgrade the AD schema to 2008r2,
      - join the 2k8r2 as addictional domain controller
      - only move the data since the local users are translated in ad users.

Bye and thanks

Tano

Comment

Local users will not automatically turn into AD users, in fact they will disappear since the new DC does not have any local user accounts.

IMHO plan things -- do not rush!
        How about
        Create new domain/forest on 2008R2
        Join Win2K to domain
        Create domain accounts
        Join clients to domain
        (note files are still available on 2K since it is not a DC so old local accounts still exist
        Set up new shares and security for domain accounts
        Migrate data slowly
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

Sorry but i think that not the way a dcpromo acts, promoting a w2k\2k3 server from standalone to a dc, the promotion will migrate the local users to AD users ( you'll find those in the default "users" ou).

If i follow the steps that you outlined i cannot migrate data's ACL, since the sid used in the acl are stored on the local sam db on the w2k box and not in the AD.

So to have the same shares on the new server, i have to recreate manually all the ACL on my shares.

Btw, thanks for the suggestions.

Bye

Tano

Comment

Originally posted by tano View Post
            Hi,

Sorry but i think that not the way a dcpromo acts, promoting a w2k\2k3 server from standalone to a dc, the promotion will migrate the local users to AD users ( you'll find those in the default "users" ou).

Tano
            Only if the DC is the first DC in the forest AFAIK.

Comment

Also keep in mind that u have to join the computers to the domain that means also that u have to migrate each user profile

Originally posted by tano View Post
              Hi,

If i follow the steps that you outlined i cannot migrate data's ACL, since the sid used in the acl are stored on the local sam db on the w2k box and not in the AD.

So to have the same shares on the new server, i have to recreate manually all the ACL on my shares.

Btw, thanks for the suggestions.

Bye

Tano

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                Only if the DC is the first DC in the forest AFAIK.
                Hi, yes...since the source server is a standalone, that will be the first dc in the forest.

Also keep in mind that u have to join the computers to the domain that means also that u have to migrate each user profile
                Hi, the users wouldnt get joined to that domain, they need only to access same shares on it, so they will connect to those shares via smb \\newserver\share

Thanks for the info about the migrated users on the first dc on a new forest, i didnt know that.

Bye

Tano

Comment

Working...
                X