Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reseting disk quotas

Hey guys..

is there any way you can reset the actual quota so say if they the limit is 200MB and the they are using 190MB, can you reset their quota so it resets back to 0MB used with out deleting their files on disk??

thanks guys
    Last edited by krayzie; 22nd December 2011, 02:20.

Re: reseting disk quotas

Can you please tell us why do you want to do it this way? simply increase the quota limit and then stick to the quota policy.

Comment

Originally posted by devil786 View Post
      Can you please tell us why do you want to do it this way? simply increase the quota limit and then stick to the quota policy.
      well we have not been inforcing quotas and a few people have over the limit quotas set at 400mb and we just want to start a fresh with everyone starting at 0 and then inforce limit at 400mb

unless there is another way other then users deleting GB's of data just to get back to under 400mb

thanks

Comment

Maybe with some careful. Structures of file system so and. Selective quota folders. You may be able to get away with it..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          Maybe with some careful. Structures of file system so and. Selective quota folders. You may be able to get away with it..

how would i go about doing that

Comment

Anything useful on ?
            http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sa=X&...=1381&bih=1000
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              hey Ossian

i understand how to enable quotas but what i want to be able to do is reset quota entries for everyone so they start back at 0MB if possible

thanks

Comment

You cannot -- quotas are based on ownership of files in the file system, so if someone owns 100Mb of files, that counts to their quota
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: resetting disk quotas

Originally posted by krayzie View Post
                  Hey guys..

is there any way you can reset the actual quota so say if they the limit is 200MB and the they are using 190MB, can you reset their quota so it resets back to 0MB used with out deleting their files on disk??

thanks guys
                  I understand what you really need it would hard for you to set quota for users who are already gone over the limit if you manage to set hard quota they won't be able to use or save anything on it. you either set one hard quota and tell the users to reduce their stuff if they have got personal files. It is a very tricky situation for IT Staff once it got out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by mohammedyusuf View Post
                    I understand what you really need it would hard for you to set quota for users who are already gone over the limit if you manage to set hard quota they won't be able to use or save anything on it. you either set one hard quota and tell the users to reduce their stuff if they have got personal files. It is a very tricky situation for IT Staff once it got out of hand.
                    I'm not really sure what is being asked. I suspect the OP (krayzie) wants to rest the Quotas (don't know to what) and not lose the data already in the User's Home Folder, but I am only guessing.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      I'm not really sure what is being asked. I suspect the OP (krayzie) wants to rest the Quotas (don't know to what) and not lose the data already in the User's Home Folder, but I am only guessing.

thats pretty much exactly what i want.. and reset the quotas back to 0% used, if possible

Comment

0% used of what amount? If the Quota is 200MB and they have used 190MB then why not just increase the Quota to 300MB (or more). Why zero the Quota limit and then allow them their present 190MB (in at least one case) and let it build up to 200MB (?) again?

If you are looking at doing something like this, why have Quotas?

I suggest you INCREASE the Quota and forget about resetting them to 0%.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by krayzie View Post
                          thats pretty much exactly what i want.. and reset the quotas back to 0% used, if possible
                          I guess you wanted to keep all the existing files of your users, and at the same time to reset the quota counter back to 0%, so your users may feel like they have got only 200MB space!!

But I don't think there is any other settings so that we can tweak it.

Update here if you found any workaround. Good Luck!
                          Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
                          MCITP [AD]

Comment

Working...
                          X