Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copying shared folders to new volume

Hi everyone,

So here's the deal, we purchased a NAS and created a 1 TB iSCSI volume to be connected to our file server. Basically we want to offload the shared files and folders on the local C drive and move them to the iSCSI volume which is seen as an H drive. What would be the most efficient way of doing this without having to remap each users PCs or manually edit the permissions all over again? We're running Server 2008 Enterprise.

Re: Copying shared folders to new volume

Users won't see a difference as long as the share name and permissions don't change.

How many shares do you have? If they're at all disorganised then this could be the ideal time to rationalise. If you only have a few then you might as well move them manually and reshare them out of hours.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I understand that from the client side there shouldn't be a difference as long as the shared permissions remain the same.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to go about copying the shared permissions so all the user has to do when they return is just double click on their mapped drive and they're set. We're looking at 22 shared folders over the network but they have more than 215k files and more than 23k subfolders at just over 84 GB.

I could always take inventory of the permissions now and manually assign them once copied over. Basically I would "unshare" the current folders after copying them over and then share the new ones with the same name. I was just wondering if its possible to copy the shared permissions over.

Comment

I think you can use FSMT to do this when moving to a different server, but I'm not sure about moving to a new target on the same server.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Just did some playing around with a test folder and it looks like manually adding users after the folder has been copied works. Here are the steps taken:

1. Copy the original folder to new destination
          2. Stop sharing the original folder
          3. Share the newly copied folder with the appropriate permissions

From the client side, all they need to do is refresh their mapped drives and will see the new volume.

Unless someone thinks they can top that, I think my weekend task is set.

Comment

Working...
          X