struck on understanding of dfs,please help understand terms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• struck on understanding of dfs,please help understand terms

I have set up dfs on home lab. I have domain called naubahi7 I am using domain`based dfs.

\\naubahi7\data

I have 2 shared folders one folder is on server dc1 named data1 and other folder is on dc2 named data2

So to access I use \\naubahi7\data

Now I want to add another folder data3 that exists on dc1 and that should be accessed in same way \\naubahi7\data

so for this,what are the steps I need to take ?as I want that this data3 folder on the dc1 should be replicated to data2 folder on dc2 and it should be accessed using the same \\naubahi7\data

Please help with steps as I am confused as to what is folder target,what is new replication connection,I really fail to understand.It will be great if someone can help understand these terms in context to what I am trying to do and steps involved. Thanks in advance

Re: struck on understanding of dfs,please help understand terms

I suggest you start here:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dfs...w=1222&bih=810
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I read the above links but it didn't help

Ok after reading the above links,I made understanding that I need to add another folder target by right clicking the data.So I right clicked the data and added another folder target data3. Now I deleted the old replication.And what I want is data1,data2,data3 shared folders accessed by (root)\\naubahi7\ data and they replicate. So when I tried to create a new replication by adding data3(on dc1) as replication member,it gave me error saying cannot add replication member(data3) because it is on same server dc1 as folder target data1.both folders data1 and data3 are from dc1 and data2 is from dc2.

Please help.

Comment

Re: I read the above links but it didn't help

Each folder target for a given folder must be on a separate machine
        You would create multiple targets (Folder1, Folder2, Folder3 etc) and add copies to each depending on the machine you want them on.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X