Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Creating a home lab

Hi guys,

Want to learn more about Windows server (2008 and 2008 R2) to go and take the MSCITP route, so I decided to create small home lab on VMware Workstation. Any of you guys have ideas and tips on what do I need to have: how many hosts? kind of hosts (DC, DNS, DHCP)?

thanks

Re: Help: Creating a home lab

Get one of the MS Press Self Paced Training books for a relevant exam (70-64x series, IIRC) and you will get hints

You need to be able to support 64 bit for 2008R2 and will probably need 3 or 4 VMs, depending on what you are doing
    (Minimum 1 DC (with DNS, DHCP etc), 2 others (server and or client) depending on what you are doing) and a second DC for replication
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Get one of the MS Press Self Paced Training books for a relevant exam (70-64x series, IIRC) and you will get hints

You need to be able to support 64 bit for 2008R2 and will probably need 3 or 4 VMs, depending on what you are doing
      (Minimum 1 DC (with DNS, DHCP etc), 2 others (server and or client) depending on what you are doing) and a second DC for replication

Thanks, Ossian, for the prompt response.

Comment

for your physical host, you probably wand something with about 8GB of memory, and plenty of disk space. Because you're using vmware PC (or vmware server, whatever) you've also got the overhead of your base OS, so just keep that in mind.

The MS Prss books that Ossian mentioned will actually take you through setting up all your labs, and say for instance you need 3x2008 servesr and 2xwin7 machines (dependent on the lab, of course)

you may not need all of them runing all the time.. and you could probbaly get away with giving them only 2GB (just expect it to be slow..)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel
          for your physical host, you probably want something with about 8GB of memory
          I threw together some new bits and pieces about this time laste year to use as a VM machine. I now regret only putting in 16GB RAM. If I was doing it now it would be 24GB minimum. RAM is so cheap nowdays unlike "the good lod days" when you would pay AUD$120 for a 1MB piece of 30 pin. I have a friend who was ecstatic when he was able to put 8MB of cheap 72 pin RAM in his board because it only cost AUD$785!!!

With VMs remember that RAM is king.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            I threw together some new bits and pieces about this time laste year to use as a VM machine. I now regret only putting in 16GB RAM. If I was doing it now it would be 24GB minimum. RAM is so cheap nowdays unlike "the good lod days" when you would pay AUD$120 for a 1MB piece of 30 pin. I have a friend who was ecstatic when he was able to put 8MB of cheap 72 pin RAM in his board because it only cost AUD$785!!!

This is something i totally agree with.

I reckon you should pop as much RAM as possible into youor computer costs permitting. I've got a single server with 16GB RAM in it and another one with the same.

Lets also not forget the base disks and performance of them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post

i had a computer once, that I got from the tip. It was some 386-era unisys thing.
              Apart from having an additional little memory table (that I could never get working!) that took standard 30pin ram (I forget what that stuff is even called any more) it had 8 onboard slots for SIPPS ram ! tiny, little bendable pins, like the sorts that are on older cpus.. but much less tough..

it looked like a proper 30pin ram chip, size wise, it just had pins like on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_in-line_package
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

It is all about the money in these cases i started out with an hp ml 110 series.
                with 8 gig of ram now i`m sitting on a dell 2950 III with 2 E5345 and 32 gb of ram. i have got this one from ebay for around 1200,- euro`s

What you definitly need is a virtual router host, there are some good ones out there for free, i use vyatta.

good luck with your exams.....

Comment

I have recently setup a home lab but all in VMWare, im studying for a MCITP so I use it to test things out and all, it can be slow at times but it does the job.

I am running it in a 8GB i5 machine and so far its doing well, i rarely have more than 2 servers powered on at the same time so i think a little bit of patience and im good

Comment

For most Microsoft official courses, including Exchange where you can have 4 or 5 simultaneous VMs, 8Gb is just enough -- 16 is better!
                    Last edited by Ossian; 5th December 2011, 16:14.
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

For most Microsoft official courses, including Exchange where you can have 4 or 5 simultaneous VMs, 8Mb is just enough -- 16 is better!
                      I think Tom's been on the Whisky again

He probably means GB not MB

Comment

nah, he's correct.
                        I'm still using 640K.

Comment

(Could have been worse -- at least I didn't say Tb)
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

(Could have been worse -- at least I didn't say Tb)
                            Yeah who cares about that.

How was the whisky

Comment

:hic:
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X