No announcement yet.

Installing W2k8 R2 on custom machine

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing W2k8 R2 on custom machine

I want to build my own pc to use it as a server.
    Due to the lack of money, i'm not able to buy appropriate server, so the cheapest option is to build my own pc whit a lot of RAM.

Now, i've read somewhere that w2k8 r2 is not posible to install unless all the drivers of your hardware are digitaly signed from MS. So far i've only installed w2k8 in hyper-V.

The pc that i want ot buy is the following:

CPU CORE 2 QUAD Q9550 2.83 LGA775 12MB
    SATA Raid controler Adaptec PCIE 1x 2port 1220SA
    DIMM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Apacer
    HDD 2.5" 1TB Toshiba SATA2 5400RPM 8MB
    MB Intel DG41WV s775 Core 2 Quad DDR3 1333MHz
    Trendnet PCI Gigabit Copper Ethernet Card TEG-PCITXR

I want to install w2k8 r2 std ed, and run Hyper-V inside with more VMs.

Is there a option to disable the requirement for signed drivers in the BIOS?
    Should i ask the supplier to give me components that has MS digital signed drivers?
    Or i have to buy proper server?

Another question, i know i'm able to run one VM in Hyper-V in w2k8 r2 std. But what if i run more? I'm breaking the licence, but it will still run without problems?

Re: Installing W2k8 R2 on custom machine

Should be no issues installing 2008R2 on anything -- Win7 drivers tend to work and are signed
    (I certainly am using it in ways it shouldn't be creating laptops used for training courses and have had few issues except with Bluetooth)

For your second question -- as long as you have bought licenses, you are legally able to run as many VMs as you like on Standard (after the first one) or enterprise (after the first 4)
    If you want to stay legal, and it is for non commercial (development/testing) use, get TechnetPlus
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **