Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iSCSI Storage High Availability - Please Help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iSCSI Storage High Availability - Please Help.

Hi Guys,

I'm kind of new in storage so..

I've got a website stored on GoGrid's cloud,
    That is built from:
    - 2 IIS server (win2008r2)
    - 1 SQL server (win2008r2) - iscsi initiator connected to the iSCSI server.
    - iSCSI server (win2008r2)

(any of the servers are stand alone servers, there is no Domain Controller server in the cloud)

I want to create a high availablity cluster for the iSCSI server, what is the best way to create redundent iSCSI server?

I've read couple of articals how to add iSCSI target on Microsoft cluster,
    or StarWind with Microsoft Cluster.

I've heared of Microsoft MPIO - is it helpful for what i want?

Please help me decide how can i implement this ASAP,
    Thanks!

Re: iSCSI Storage High Availability - Please Help.

Given you appear to be using a single server, presumably with local storage , as your iSCSI server, it will represent a single point of failure. A proper SAN would give better availability.

From memory you will need to duplicate your server and set up some way of synchronisation -- the only Microsoft solution is DFS which will work at the file level, more or less preventing databases being duplicated.

You might be better moving up a level and using log shipping and local storage to keep two SQL servers in sync.

MPIO is unlikely to help here -- it uses multiple routes between SAN and Server to give high availability and more throughput
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Given you appear to be using a single server, presumably with local storage , as your iSCSI server, it will represent a single point of failure. A proper SAN would give better availability.

From memory you will need to duplicate your server and set up some way of synchronisation -- the only Microsoft solution is DFS which will work at the file level, more or less preventing databases being duplicated.

You might be better moving up a level and using log shipping and local storage to keep two SQL servers in sync.

MPIO is unlikely to help here -- it uses multiple routes between SAN and Server to give high availability and more throughput
      Hi Ossian,
      Thanks for your help,

I'll try to explain mysleft a little better and correct than before,
      I have 2 iis servers, the files of my website, sits on the iSCSI host server, and on the iis servers theres is initiator that is connected to the iSCSI host server.
      what i want is to find the best solution for the iSCSI's single point of failure.

The SQL server isn't related to this issue, so please ignore it.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

OK... slightly confused here given:
        - 1 SQL server (win2008r2) - iscsi initiator connected to the iSCSI server.
        and
        The SQL server isn't related to this issue, so please ignore it.
        So you are basically after high availability for the IIS servers?
        If so, the normal way is synchronising content, possibly via DFS, combined with the Windows Network Load Balancing feature and appropriate DNS entries
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

OK... slightly confused here given:

and

So you are basically after high availability for the IIS servers?
          If so, the normal way is synchronising content, possibly via DFS, combined with the Windows Network Load Balancing feature and appropriate DNS entries
          Hi Ossian,

Yes, that's what i want to implemenet HA for the IIS servers, is there other ways besides DFS repications?

Thanks again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Davidsod View Post
            Hi Ossian,

Yes, that's what i want to implemenet HA for the IIS servers, is there other ways besides DFS repications?

Thanks again!!
            Is there's a way to implement such solution without having a Domain Controller?
            because any microsoft cluster requiers that the nodes must be a domain member, and we don't have domain controller on our Cloud invironment (from a security&costs aspects).

Thanks

Comment

Apparently NLB does not require a domain, but failover clustering does
              http://blogs.technet.com/b/networkin...e-servers.aspx
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

I already have a network load balancer, I want to creat a shared clustered storage for the website's files besides the nlb.

Is there a way to create a storage replication without a cluster?

Comment

you're still going to have multiple points of failure in there.. even if you get your HA going on your IIS servers, you've got a single SQL backend server.
                  If that fails, your HA IIS servers won't matter.
                  and if your iSCSI back-end fails, it's not going to matter.

And do you have redundant network links to the iscsi target from each node?
                  ie, each IIS server should have:
                  NIC1 : Public Network
                  NIC2: Cluster/HA/HeartBeat/LB & Management Interface
                  NIC3: iSCSI primary
                  NIC4: iSCSI Backup

and obviously.. two switches as well, for the separate paths..
                  And that's before you consider having a separate Back-End interface, that talks to the SQL Server....
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

WHat is the business case for the iSCSI storage attached to the IIS servers -- how much do files change? Normally the files can be replicated to the other IIS folder and do not change, but the database does so that requires HA.

I suggest you take a step back and review what you are trying to do, and the options you have, then choose a solution, rather than deciding iSCSI is the solution and trying to fit the problem to it
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

StarWind *IS* a proper SAN to configure High Availability You just need to install two (or more) S/W hosts and enable synchronous mirroring between them. And use MPIO to all of them @ the same time. As a result you should eliminate SPOF

Comment

There are many ways to skin the cat I would install Hyper-V on two hosts, put IIS into HA configured VMs running on both and use redundant storage to eliminate SPOF.

WHat is the business case for the iSCSI storage attached to the IIS servers -- how much do files change? Normally the files can be replicated to the other IIS folder and do not change, but the database does so that requires HA.

I suggest you take a step back and review what you are trying to do, and the options you have, then choose a solution, rather than deciding iSCSI is the solution and trying to fit the problem to it

Comment

Working...
                        X