Server 2008 to Server 2008 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 to Server 2008 R2

Ok so I have been looking all over for any issues with upgrading a Server 2008 DC to be Server 2008 R2 DC. This is in a virtual enviroment so I can spin up another server. I would prefer to use the single DC already in place just have it be R2. That way I don't have to migrate DHCP and CA for my enviroment.

Re: Server 2008 to Server 2008 R2

Is Server 2008 the 64 bit version?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes the 2008 server is 64bit, sorry I forgot to include that.

Comment

if it's going from x64 to x64, you should be fine.

This document gives you more info on the upgrae paths

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ng=en&id=19649
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will most likely backup the pc and then do the upgrade, just to be safe as ripping out a DC from AD is not the easiest thing in the world to do.

Comment

Add a temporary DC using a spare workstation/laptop. Let it replicate and then when you upgrade the main DC you are "covered" in case of disasters.

In general you want redundancy for your DCs anyway so in the long term look at a second one (does not need to be massively powerful and could be virtualised)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The funny part is my enviroment is 100% virtual on a single ESXi 5.0 box. Just yesterday I finishedup a seperate DC on a physical box, I will let it run for a bit then do the upgrade. I do have a backup of the machine though.

Comment

Working...
              X