X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing all desktops to update - pls help

Forcing all desktops to update - pls help

Hi all

I have a network setup with around 60 PCs all running Windows OS from 2000 up to Windows 7. They are all licenses and original and therefore can update freely online. However since they are connected with a domain controller, only the administrator (which is me!) can do the updates. As you can imagine doing updates on all PCs manually is a huge headache especially since updates come out frequently.

I know there is a way to automate this : WSUS. Can anyone suggest an alternative solution which is less costly than WSUS? or is there any other to implement WSUS at less cost? Any other help?

Thanks a lot guys!

Re: Forcing all desktops to update - pls help

WSUS is free so what cost are you referring to?

Comment

REALLY...? oops ....

Can you direct me to a tutorial on how to get WSUS to work?

Comment

Here you go:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...erver/bb332157

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/bb466190

Comment

Since you have windows servers already, WSUS has zero cost implications and is by far the easiest way of managing updates
          missed the earlier replies...
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yea, definitely WSUS. WSUS is freer than any other solution, including letting users update things themselves..

WSUS is also fairly straight forward to get working.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

hi guys thanks a lot for your help! still i cant manage to get it to work...i created GPO, assigned it on a OU (which contains a PC) but still not managing....

see screens attached. anything i might be missing?
              Attached Files

Comment

Confirm the WSUS server is using the default website (port 80) -- it can go to 8530 depending on setup
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

have you run gpresults on the workstation, to ensure it's loading the policy ? (in addition to Ossian's comment again)
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Run the Client Diagnostics Tool and it may give you some insight from the client side.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/bb466192

Originally posted by ramon82 View Post
                    hi guys thanks a lot for your help! still i cant manage to get it to work...i created GPO, assigned it on a OU (which contains a PC) but still not managing....

see screens attached. anything i might be missing?

Comment

one the WSUS server have you (all under options in WSUS console)
                      • configured which products you want to synchronize
                      • configured which classifications you want to synchonize
                      • configured udpate source (should be MS update) and proxy (if needed)
                      • configured synchonization schedule (and run a sync)
                      • configured automatic approvals
                      if all above has been done,

then on workstation (as per camel coment below) run gpresult and check your policy is being applied, if you just want to test for a single pc simply modify the local gp of the machine and enter the WSUS settings there (we do this for a few non domain pcs we have on the network and it works fine)

check log file in c:windows\windowsupdate.log this will provide you with further diagnostic info.

cheers
                      Last edited by hazey; 16th November 2011, 06:33. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                      X