server addition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server addition

Currently we have a single server network (Proliant ML350 G3) with a 2003 R2 x32 with Exchange, and running all roles - AD, DC, DNS, file sharing, DHCP. We have 5-10 users in the local office at one time, and up to 5 remote users who would connect to Exchange through RPC/HTTPS.

We're looking at adding a newer server as we introduct a new database software - ordering a Dell R210II with Server 2008R2.

Any suggestions on transferring roles/operations? The idea is for the Dell to run the database software, but given its newer specs, should I transfer all the main roles of the old server to it, and just leave the old server running our network file sharing, Exchange & Blackberry Enterprise?

This recent thread has some suggested steps for replacing an aging server - would the same steps apply in my case if transferring the roles?

Opinions / suggestions appreciated.

Re: server addition

the G3 is a very old server now. If you can find a little extra money, get a second server as well.

If you only choose the new server.. then yep, run the database software on it.

if you do want to migrate the other services, remember that when you have exchange and AD installed on the same server, you can't demote the AD server while Exchange is on there.
    You'd also have to upgrade to at least Exchange 2007 if you were going to move it over to the new server - no point going x32 on that server.
    If you leave exchange where it is, you would need to leave it as a DC as well, so you wouldn't need to move the FSMO roles
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

With 5-10 users i'd also look at an SBS version that has all the relevant roles that you need.

The migration from what you are to that is something i'm not sure about though.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        if you do want to migrate the other services, remember that when you have exchange and AD installed on the same server, you can't demote the AD server while Exchange is on there.
        You'd also have to upgrade to at least Exchange 2007 if you were going to move it over to the new server - no point going x32 on that server.
        If you leave exchange where it is, you would need to leave it as a DC as well, so you wouldn't need to move the FSMO roles
        ...and that's exactly why I come here. Not sure I would have found that out until it's too late.

Many thanks for the feedback, to both who replied. I'll try asking for a higher budget - and yes, I agree, SBS would be awesome.

Personally, I'd like 2 servers - one with AD/Exchange, the other with the database and file sharing.

If I can get 2 new servers, I might leave the old G3 as the AD/DC, have one new one doing Email, and the second doing database files. Should work, no?

Comment

You will be much more expensive for multiple servers than SBS. You can add additional servers later if you want
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X