Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 R2 Server Replacement Help

hi guys...
    looking at installing a replacement Server into our network. presently have 2003 R2 32bit Standard Controller with AD,DNS,DHCP,File Services.
    the new server is a Dell r510 2008 R2 64 with only a mirrored drive for the OS. a storage array will be setup to hold the file share data on a 3200i.
    i should be able to get this Server online by extending the 2003 scheme using adprep tools. once that is done can i transfer the roles over, then the DHCP,etc?
    will this process work?
    how does the 2003 Server get gracefully removed from the domain when we are ready to finally move the file share data over to the SAN?
    thanks

Re: 2008 R2 Server Replacement Help

DCPromo the new 2008R2 box and install the DNS role
    Unpromo the 2003 -- FSMOs will move gracefully since there are only 2 DCs
    Move DHCP / change scope to specify new DNS server
    Use DFS to move files over and point clients at new server
    Eventually remove 2003 server from domain and delete computer account in AD
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply. i do have one other DC that is a 2003 Standard box as well. it is running a SQL install and is very light duty.

also, i will need to run the adprep 32bit version on the 2003 box, correct? this will prepare and ready the domain for a 64bit 2008 R2 Server?
      Last edited by swixtt; 10th November 2011, 22:38. Reason: adprep addition

Comment

You will need to run the correct ADPrep architecture for your schema master -- probably 32bit

If you have a 3rd DC, decide in advance where the FSMOs will go (light duty sounds good) and move them: http://www.petri.com/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks... i was wanting to transfer the FSMO roles to the 2008 R2 box. i'll read through that link. i assume the same applies for transferring from a 2003 to 2008 machine?
          the old 2003 box will remain on the network and be handling the backup jobs and/or handling SEPM. the 2003 SQL box that is a DC as well will remain and eventually get upgraded to 2008 as well. it primary role is to be there for a Goldmine instance.
          i will run the adprep32 on the 2003 box to prep the domain for a 2008 r2 machine.

Comment

Yup -- same transfer process for FSMOs in 2008
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

i need to make sure this Domain is Native as well?

Comment

IIRC you need to be at least at 2003 native FL
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Well, so far things are working fine. I've raised the level to 2003 and prepped the domain and forest without any errors. I then introduced the 2008 into the domain and it automatically installed DNS along with AD DS. I have not transferred the roles as of yet. i will need to setup the DHCP and then disable the existing 2003 one.
                  when a workstation looks for a server to authenticate with how does it determine the appropriate one? lower ip address?

Comment

Working...
                  X