• Show
Clear All

• Backup experts opinion wanted

Hi All,

Here is my configuration:

1) Active Directory DC DELL R210 server with one 250GB SATA disk
    2) SQL Server DELL R515 server with two 250GB mirrored disks
    5) A network with ~10 Win7 clients

What I am interested in case of troubles (I can rebuild whe Windows Server 2008 R2 machines from scratch in a couple of hours):

* Restore Active Directory DC and 3 SQL databases (~ 700 MB)

Do I really need a professional backup solution? Do I really need a TAPE or DISK backup hardware?

How would a professional sysAdmin do the backup of the resources above?

Thanks in advance,

Alberto

Re: Backup experts opinion wanted

IMHO you do not need tape -- external drives (Firewire, USB3 or even USB2) are more than adequate, and (up to last month ) a lot cheaper. Your maximum storage requirement is <500Gb so well within their capacity. Alternatively a NAS device would be suitable, although that would be onsite rather than being able to take off site in case of emergencies.

The built in Windows Server backup is adequate (now it can do individual directories) so you could get away with that, but IMHO for ease of management and particularly scheduling, look at a 3rd party -- BackupAssist is relatively cheap.

Start off by thinking about frequency of backups, current data size, and planned growth, and use that to decide on capacities needed.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your time Ossian,

1) Do you mean I should schedule a SQL server backup of the 3 database in question and once the backup are created backup the folder using Windows Server backup? Do you believe I need a backup tool that let me pick the SQL server DBs directly like Symantec BackupExec?

2) No, I don't need to take the backup offsite. I need daily backups, current data size is 700MB (SQL Server already compress db backups I think) and will grow 100-200MB every year. Maybe a NAS would be more appropriate?

3) What do I need to backup to succesfully rebuild a Domain Controller?

Thanks,

Alberto

Comment

SQL backups are up to you, but no particular problem with the strategy you describe -- or use SQL backup to go direct to NAS/Drive

DC requires System State backup as, IMHO, does the SQL server
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by devdept View Post
          Thanks for your time Ossian,

1) Do you mean I should schedule a SQL server backup of the 3 database in question and once the backup are created backup the folder using Windows Server backup? Do you believe I need a backup tool that let me pick the SQL server DBs directly like Symantec BackupExec?
          No - no need for specific software like Bex. just configure your SQL backups to run nightly as maintenance tasks, then ensure they backup to the external disk.
          You don't even need to have windows backup back it up then.

2) No, I don't need to take the backup offsite. I need daily backups, current data size is 700MB (SQL Server already compress db backups I think) and will grow 100-200MB every year. Maybe a NAS would be more appropriate?
          I would recommend two disks, rather than a NAS - if the NAS dies for whatever reason, then there goes your backup. Where as, if one of your external disks fails, you've still got the other one. Just swap them weekly.

3) What do I need to backup to succesfully rebuild a Domain Controller?

Thanks,

Alberto
          system state...
          you should do system-state for all servers.
          And take a close look at how to restore Active Directory..

Also.. consider how you're going to test your restorations, to ensure your backup works
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by devdept
            (I can rebuild whe Windows Server 2008 R2 machines from scratch in a couple of hours):
            For the cost of a 250GB HDD ( about $65 at present prices) you can RAID 1 the AD and save you a "couple of hours" PLUS if you have hot swap cradles you have ZERO downtime if you ever have a drive failure.
            Last edited by biggles77; 8th November 2011, 07:49.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,
              You have additional servers ? you need in case of hardware problems.
              I believe is better to have aditional server/desktop with windows 2008 R2 installed to put all the backups and it will be ready for restore (you can install hyper-v and have a small test environment and test also the restore of the backups )
              In time you will have file server and the database will grow so is good for backup server to have 500 GB HDD
              this is my opinion

Comment

I would opt for ShadowProtect. Very fast and supports bare metal restore.

Comment

Hi,
                  check NovaBackup (they are at least 10 years on market).
                  Used it long time ago.
                  Today we using it for small remote sites.
                  They have a range of products from Home to Enterprise.

http://www.novastor.com/en/

Best...
                  "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Also, you can consider the backup scenario below. I use it for years for a small client with SQL, APP, Exchange and File server.

--Each server has a dedicated partition for backup only. Example:
                    SQL server: C: - OS; D: -Database; E: - Backup

Database backup is scheduled at 7 pm daily and performed to the partition E:.
                    Then daily backup is scheduled to copy Database backup from SQL server to backup server (Dedicated machine with a tape drive attached).
                    Once per week daily backups collected during a week on backup server are transferred to tape (now LTO 5) and the tape is taken off site. There are 12 tapes in rotation that allows to go 3 month back. It's finanacing company so the backup is the success of the business.

You can use two external HD as was suggested in other posts. Backups are performed with Microsoft backup and copies to backup server with scheduled batch files. Backup Exec 12 is used for off site backup to tape on backup server. Instead of BE you can use again MS backup if you will use external DISK.

This scenario provides two! onsite and an offsite backups. With appropriate override schedule it provides solid backup solution.
                    Last edited by mla; 9th November 2011, 02:21.
                    "When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Comment

Thanks for sharing all these opinions.

Honestly we are a small company and we cannot spend so much time on the matter.

After seeing the features of the BackupAssist I believe it could be the right solution for us.

From I single program I can daily backup DC machine system state and the relevant DBs from the SQL machine, write on external NAS and test the backups automatically.

techcamel, do you know where I can find instruction for this?
                      just configure your SQL backups to run nightly as maintenance tasks, then ensure they backup to the external disk.
                      Thanks,

Alberto

Comment

In SQL Server Management, go to Management and then Maintenance Plans -- right click and select the Wizard
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Thanks a lot!

Comment

MLA,

What is the reason, in your scenario, to back up to the "E" volume on the same machine daily and then copy that to the backup server daily? Can I not just backup daily to the backup server...and then do the rest of the scenario? Or is that how I am getting my second on-site backup?

I am in the process of coming up with a backup plan and am trying to learn the ropes and make sure I do this right. Would love to give you my scenario/situation directly and see what you think.

Regards,
                            Mike

Comment

I suspect 2 sets of data -- local and on backup server
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X