Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printers going offline

Folks,
    I have a small windows environment. It consists of 1 DC ( windows 2008 R2 STD) and file server ( windows 2003 R2 Std). About 25 users
    • DC runs DNS, DHCP, DFS, Print server and backup exec
    • File server is just file storage
    • Users are a laptop population with offline files setup via GPO
    • Each user's home path is domain controller\home\user\username. The Domain controller where DFS is housed. DFS points to the second file server which houses all the shares.
    • Printers are on the Domain Controller. domaincontroller\printername
    Today, I had to bounce the File server around midday. After this event, I noticed that on most users they received the system tray bubble saying "domain controller" was offline. This I am assuming makes sense due to the fact that DFS on the DC points to the file server which I restarted. For that moment the home drive path (domain controller\home\user\username. ) was technically not reachable due to the destination file server being bounced.

What I don't understand is that many of the users also lost connectivity to their printers. The solution for this was to click on the system tray bubble which prompted you to syncronize your offline files with the server again. Once I did this, its like I woke up the Network shares on the domain controller and everything worked fine

IS it normal that my printers would go offline just because offline files could not find their destination. ?

Have I this setup incorrectly?

Appreciate any guidance
    Last edited by doogan123; 1st November 2011, 21:11.

Re: Printers going offline

it does sound a bit unusual.

which server are your printers installed on though ? (you didn't tell us this)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi There,

The printers are on the Domain Controller - the same Server that Hosts DFS

Comment

I have a similar setup - DFS, DNS, DHCP and PRint server on a 2008 domain controller running Win 2008 Server standard. Data is located on a server running Win 2008 Storage Server. I don't use the offline files feature, though. But - I have never seen this message when restarting the storage server.

If the domain controller was online this should not have happened. Is your DNS in good health? Check the A and PTR records and make sure they are correct (no missing entries, no duplicate names). Do your servers have static IP addresses?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
          If the domain controller was online this should not have happened. Is your DNS in good health? Check the A and PTR records and make sure they are correct (no missing entries, no duplicate names). Do your servers have static IP addresses?
          Thanks for you reply. The IP configuration is very simple. Static IP's and DNS does not show any errors. I verified all suggected records are good.

This is not an issue that will present it self often, as restarting the file server during the day is a rare occrance - however I would like to understand why it happens

Any idea's. ?

thanks guys

Comment

I don't understand why this would happen. It does not make sense that your DC should be reported as being offline and for some of the printers to go offline, too.

You mention that many (not all) of your staff lost the connection to the printers. Is there any difference in the way that the printers were added to the clients? E.g. using the Directory, or using a UNC path \\servername\printername or were they all added the same way? Also, was just one printer affected or were several affected?
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
            X