Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print Server Jobs Archiving

Hi,

My questions are related to print server job archiving related.

Example case: "A user printed document sucessfully, user lost the original file. He needs a copy.

Currently as per normal usage I use "Keep Printed Documents" easily. I select the job and select Restart the job and give user a copy of the documents.

I need help to solve the following questions

1. Is there any method that can be used to archive print jobs in a separate folder?

2. Is there any open source/freeware third party tool for Print jobs archiving.

3 . If i backup/copy the contents of \windows\system32\spool\printers\*.* to another folder which files are users print jobs?

Thanks

Shahbaz

Re: Print Server Jobs Archiving

Please bear in mind that print jobs can be quite large and will only relate to a specific model of printer, so using them to replace lost documents is, at best, problematic. Normal behavour is to treat the print spool as temporary and it would be difficult to get it to do anything else except possibly set printers as "print to file" and then copy the file to the print device.

IMHO you need to look at the other end -- where and how users save their files -- and make sure they do not get lost. To help you, there are backups and shadow copies.

In many years of network admin, I have never come across anyone trying to recover data by extracting it from the print files!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you Sir,

Keeping in view you advice and reading artical on microsoft site /kb/264662.
      These are left over files and can not be used with any other application directly. Only Windows Print service etc. can use them.

Regards
      Shahbaz

Comment

Can't the user simply reprint the document?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Apparently they lose the word files (at least thats how I read the OP )
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That's where I was a bit of afraid for.
            There you've network shares backups etc for....
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
              There you've network shares backups etc for....
              ... and (l)users
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X