X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File replication between main and branch offices

Hi people.

I have this scenario:

The main office with a Windows 2008 file server with a dedicated 8MB link to the Internet, and eight branch offices with no server and no more than ten Windows XP workstations and a 1MB ADSL link to the Internet.

Currently, the 2K8 server is only serving the main office, there's no domain or connectivity between any branch office and main office.

People in each branch office either save documents locally in their workstations, or in a shared folder on another local workstation.

What I want, is to promote the main office 2K8 to a domain controller, and have the XP branch workstations join the domain on the main office 2K8. So, do I need a dedicated link between offices, or can I setup a VPN?

The other thing that I want on each branch office, is to setup only one XP workstation (or perhaps a 2K8 server, but it will be more difficult because of license costs) with a shared folder available to the local lan (serving the other local XP workstations). Then, have all files on that shared folder, copied over the WAN when there's any change or the file is new (either dedicated link or VPN?), to the main office 2K8.

I want the files to be copied over to the main office, so it can all be backup up using our tape library.

Is this feasible?

Do you do this with DFS replication?

Thank you!

Re: File replication between main and branch offices

If you can put Win7 Pro boxes in each site, look into "BranchCache"
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/dd425028

Failing that, a server and DFS replication
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      If you can put Win7 Pro boxes in each site, look into "BranchCache"

Failing that, a server and DFS replication
      You mean a server in each branch office?

Comment

branchcache doesn't need a server at the site but does require windows 7

dfs would require a server
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Sync Toy is worth a consideration.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=15155

Comment

Working...
          X