2008 R2 Upgrade Paths

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 R2 Upgrade Paths

Would somebody be able to confirm the upgrade path for Windows Server 2008 R2? Looking on Technet to upgrade from 2003 R2 Enterprise to 2008 R2 I can only go 2008 R2 Enterprise or Datacenter. It will be a Transitioning path on the upgrade. I would not be able to use 2008 R2 Standard? Is that true?

Thank you

Re: 2008 R2 Upgrade Paths

Correct -- you cannot go "down" a version without a fresh install
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

To be correct on my part, down would mean a new domain? The path that I was thinking of doing is running adprep on the 2003 R2, than adding the new system to the domain that would have 2008 R2 Standard on it, moving the FSMO roles to the 2008 R2 Standard system. I cannot "downgrade" the OS like the above procedure?

Thanks for the help....

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Correct -- you cannot go "down" a version without a fresh install

Comment

Sorry, where does a new domain come into it - we are talking about an inplace upgrade of an OS:
        So
        Server 2003 Ent --> 2008 (or R2) ent or datacentre
        Server 2003 Std --> 2008 (or R2) std, ent or datacentre

Anything else is a format and reinstall
        So if you wanted to migrate your only DC from 2003 Ent to 2008 Std, you would need to
        Create a temp DC (any OS)
        Wipe 2003 Ent (after DC Promo)
        Install 2008 Std
        DCPromo
        Unpromote Temp DC
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry for the troubles. Here is what I am trying to do. I have a MS 2003 R2 domain with two DC running MS 2003 R2 Enterprise x86. I have been tasked with upgrading the domain to 2008 R2. I have two new Dell servers that have come with MS 2008 R2 Standard x64. What I have been thinking of doing is:

Add one of the new Dell servers to the 2003 domain
          On the 2003 R2 FSMO role holder is run adprep32 /forestprep, adprep32 /domainprep
          DCPROMO the Dell Server that has MS 2008 R2 Standard x64 on it
          Move the FSMO roles to the Dell Server that has MS 2008 R2 Standard x64
          Move DHCP to the new Dell Server
          Add the 2nd new Dell Server to the domain
          Remove the MS 2003 R2 Enterprise systems from the domain

Would this be able to work? MS 2003 R2 Enterprise to MS 2008 R2 Standard x64?

Thanks again for the help.

Sorry, where does a new domain come into it - we are talking about an inplace upgrade of an OS:
          So
          Server 2003 Ent --> 2008 (or R2) ent or datacentre
          Server 2003 Std --> 2008 (or R2) std, ent or datacentre

Anything else is a format and reinstall
          So if you wanted to migrate your only DC from 2003 Ent to 2008 Std, you would need to
          Create a temp DC (any OS)
          Wipe 2003 Ent (after DC Promo)
          Install 2008 Std
          DCPromo
          Unpromote Temp DC

Comment

OK, your strategy looks fine, and does not involve any upgrades, just server replacement, so versions do not matter
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

I did just test it virtually starting with a single MS 2003 Enterprise x86 system. Used the Dell 2008 R2 Standard x64 CD for the install. Did the procedure as I described in my previous post and all worked fine.

Thank you again for confirming this and your help.

OK, your strategy looks fine, and does not involve any upgrades, just server replacement, so versions do not matter

Comment

In addition;
                • Verify if any applicaitons or devices have direct mappings to the current DCs
                • DCdiag prior to running the ADPREP
                • Consider also running ADPREP /rodcprep if you are consdiering Read Only Domain Controllers
                • Ensure that DNS server addresses are changed in DHCP and for static DNS entries

Comment

Working...
                X