Issue after AD upgrade from 2000/2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue after AD upgrade from 2000/2008

We just recently introduced a new Windows 2008 R2 DC into our Windows 2000 environment and promoted it, since then we have had a few issues, the one that concerns me the most is after creating a new policy on the new 2008 DC I noticed that clients were getting the following error in Event Viewer:

“Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=xxxxxx,DC=c om. The file must be present at the location <\\xxxxxx.com\sysvol\xxxxxx.com\Policies\{31B2F3 40-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (The network path was not found. ). Group Policy processing aborted.”

I then took a look at one of the 2000 DC's and noticed the following error in it's Event Viewer under File Replication:

"The File Replication Service has detected that the replica root path has changed from "c:\winnt\sysvol\domain" to "c:\winnt\sysvol\domain". If this is an intentional move then a file with the name NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT needs to be created under the new root path.

This was detected for the following replica set:

"DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)"

I have read much about clearing up this issue (including the creation of the NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT file) but have yet to make any changes.

My question is, why would the replication root still be "c:\winnt\sysvol\domain"? That path does not exist on 2008, would it not be "c:\Windows\sysvol\domain" at this point?

These Windows 2000 DC's have yet to be "demoted" but all primary functions have been changed to the new Windows 2008 DC.

Re: Issue after AD upgrade from 2000/2008

Did you run ADPREP before promoting the 2008R2 DC?
    Have you tried re-running it?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Did you run ADPREP before promoting the 2008R2 DC?
      Yes of course, and all indicators reported that it ran successfully.

Comment

Well I was finnaly able to check the Event Viewer File Replication log on the new 2008 DC after some access denied issues and discoverd that the error was the same except sure enough this one has the "c:\windows\sysvol\domain" instead of "c:\winnt\sysvol\domain" message.

"The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from "OLD_DC.DOMAIN.NET: to "NEW_DC" for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name "OLD_DC.DOMAIN.NET. FRS will keep retrying.
        Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning."

Comment

This is the error message on the 3 2000 DC's:

"The File Replication Service has detected that the replica root path has changed from "c:\winnt\sysvol\domain" to "c:\winnt\sysvol\domain". If this is an intentional move then a file with the name NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT needs to be created under the new root path.

And this is the message on the 2008 DC:

"The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from "OLD_DC.DOMAIN.NET: to "NEW_DC" for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name "OLD_DC.DOMAIN.NET. FRS will keep retrying.

Is this a DNS or replication issue?

Comment

After struggling with this for a couple of days, I finally decided to create the file NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT (no extension) in the C:\WINNT\SYSVOL\DOMAIN folder on each of the old DC's, restarted the File Replication Service on all DC's and it seems to be working now?

I read that the above method would work but at what cost I am not sure at the moment, I am assuming that C:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\DOMAIN is really where I want this?, these old DC's will be demoted soon, I ran the GPO tool and it looks perfect now, but I am not calling this a success by any means, for me this was just a quick fix but as I stated, I have no idea at the moment what (if any) issues this may have caused.

Comment

Have you ran a DCDIAG? Ensure you run it from a 2000 DC and 2008 DC. On the 2008 DC, ensure you run CMD as an administrator by right clicking and choosing that option else you will get an error related to access permissions in the result.

gpresult /v >DCDIAG.txt

gpresult /h dcdiag.html

Comment

Working...
              X