Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permission

Hey Guys,

Is there away to block users from opening a file in a shared folder but allow them to list the files / subfolders ?

1. Allow folder listing
    2. Deny read

Thank you,
    D

System: Windows 2008 R2 - AD - DNS
    Workstations: Windows 7 Pro

Re: Permission

I don't think so as even on the Advanced security properties page 'List folder/Read data' are the same permission and cannot be separated.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Read permissions at the share level.
      List folder contents at NTFS level.

Should allow traversing the folder tree but will deny access for opening files.

Although as Blood says the effective permissions confuse things as it will show list folder / read data and traverse folder / execute file. But having tested this it does what you've asked.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions but I'm a bit confused.

Should I set ;
        Read permission in the Shared section and list files in the security tab ?

Comment

Originally posted by dimanaz View Post
          Thank you for the suggestions but I'm a bit confused.

Should I set ;
          Read permission in the Shared section and list files in the security tab ?
          Basically I was to allow some users only to list the content of a folder/subfolder.

- D

Comment

Try the NTFS permission alone, as I presume users may need to write some files in subfolders, which the share permission would prevent
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X