No announcement yet.

Process ID info needed

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process ID info needed

Hi all,
    On of the web servers in my company the CPU utilization goes close to 100%. This happens like twice a day. We get alerts from SCOM regarding this. When I monitor the machine, I see the CPU going towards higher side however I am unable to get exact detail i.e. which process is making CPU utilization higher. Processes come and go. There is no specific process which is causing this hike
    This is a windows 2008 R2 enterprise server. I enabled manual perfmon performance counters like
    (PDH-CSV 4.0) (GMT Daylight Time)(-60)
    \\ servername \Process(_Total)\% Privileged Time
    \\ servername \Process(_Total)\% Processor Time
    \\ servername \Process(_Total)\Creating Process ID
    \\ servername \Process(_Total)\Elapsed Time
    \\ servername \Process(_Total)\Handle Count
    \\ servername \Process(_Total)\ID Process
    \\ servername \Processor(0)\% Interrupt Time
    \\ servername \Processor(_Total)\% Interrupt Time
    \\ servername \Processor(0)\% Processor Time
    \\servername\Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time
    I get all the details except creating Process id // Elapsed time // Id process, they al are shown as 0 (in csv format). I did this as I thought I could match the PID of the process here and come to know about the process but I did not work.
    Guys can you please advise how I can get the info which process is causing CPU hike in a report.

Thank you in advance

Re: Process ID info needed

Can you not just open task manager, go to processors and order by CPU time (View, Select Columns)?

You can also enable a Column for the PID, if you wanted to match it easily.

This should show you the info that you want.

If you have to log it, I know you can setup Prefmon to monitor the CPU useage of each process... but that will normally cause some lag on your system, so it can skew your results. Just google for the exact details on that (or just look around, I believe its a tick box, or radio option)

You can also use the good old Command line option of "tasklist".

If in asking for more details about a problem I seem to be rude, think about it this way, If I did not have to ask, I would not of been forced to be rude.

Please assume anything and everything I say to be wrong unless I have provided links and evidence, or you have done the same.
    IE: you blow your server up following my advice, not my bad

A OP is bad if I can go to and answer the question by pressing 4 buttons. "Ctrl +c, Ctrl +v".

Re: Process ID info needed

Yep, the good old tasklist command can help you out! for instance, tasklist /fi "cputime gt 00:01:00" would give you the processes consuming more than 1 minute of cpu time. Adjust the command parameters to your needs and save the output to a file. You can set a scheduled job for the batch file.