X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS - How to Create An Entry Without the Domain Name

Long time reader, 2nd time poster

Windows 2008R2 DC with DNS

I would like to create a DNS entry that does not tack on the domain name to the end of the name. For example, if our domain is smile.com and I create Big as a DNS entry, the DNS adds on smile.com, making the entry Big.smile.com

Is there a way to create the DNS entry without having the domain added on to the end?

Thanks,

Drumms

Re: DNS - How to Create An Entry Without the Domain Name

Can you explain why would you need a host without a fully qualified domain name? It defeats the purpose of DNS!

Comment

What you're looking to do is create single label domains. You would basically need to create a new DNS zone for each name you want... but why? This is a bad idea and could create big problems if theses new zones have the same name as any host in your environment.

Maybe we can give some suggestions on alternatives if you explain the situation for us.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thank you for the quick replies.

We are running some custom software to connect to offsite servers outside our domain and that software requires specific names to resolve to specific IPs and if we use DNS, then the FQDN is being attached and the name is not being resolved. The old solution was to include a bypass and host file on each PC but I was hoping in Windows 2008 DNS that there was a way to create an entry that would not include the FQDN.

For example - I want to resolve Oilers to 10.10.10.55 but right now via DNS am resolving Oilers.NHL.com to 10.10.10.55 and the software will not connect.

Comment

Sounds as if you need WINS rather than DNS
          Review static mappings (applies, AFAIK, to 2008 as well as 2003):
          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...11(WS.10).aspx
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This static mapping entry feature in WINS looks cool! Had no idea of such capability within WINS, hope it works for drumms. Thanks Ossian for sharing the info

Comment

Quite alright!
              Beats a hosts file, anyway
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions but in the end I was a bit leery of WINS. I ended up creating a PAC file. The PAC file is centrally controlled from a Windows 2008 server and then I push out a host\routing batch file via GPO to the users.

Comment

Working...
                X