Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS fails to download certain updates

Hi everyone,

After finally spending some time configuring WSUS to get it to work via group policy, it appears the clients are reporting and downloading the majority of their updates normally. I have noticed there are a handful of updates (about 5) that are failing across all client machines and when I check the event log, it states the update download has failed. So it seems as if the update on the server was either corrupt or not downloaded. Event logs on the WSUS server show "self-update is not working" and clients are having a higher than 25% failure rate. So my question is, am I supposed to purge the updates that are failing to download or is there a different approach I should take?

Re: WSUS fails to download certain updates

run the cleanup utility, see how it goes..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Previously ran the clean up utility and it didn't seem to help. When I double checked the status of the update, it shows it as downloading along with hundreds of others. Guess I'll have to be patient, still not able to determine why exactly its saying self-update is not working even though it is.

Comment

What version of WSUS are you running?

You can always uninstall and reinstall. There will be a bit of a delay as you wait for the first sync but unless there's a lot of hands on with the updates in approving them and using computer groups then it's really not a big deal to start fresh.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en...ang=en&id=5216
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Have a look through the logs to see why the update is't downloading

Comment

We're running WSUS 3.2.7600.226, is this the same version as the one posted? I did a lot of hands on with the approving of updates and assigning them via computer groups just yesterday. If it came down to it, I would reinstall from scratch but I'd much rather just fix it in the condition it's in especially since our internet connection is barely 3Mb/s

The logs aren't very helpful, they just state self-update is not working at different intervals and they're usually preceded with information logs saying the update services service started/stopped. When I run wsusutil.exe checkhealth, I'll see the client failure rate along with the self-update not working logs.

Comment

Working...
            X