No announcement yet.

Using WDS

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using WDS

I have always used ghost to deploy software on PC's running XP. I would install the XP OS, microsoft updates, software, etc. After that I would create the image files with Ghost and use them to install on other PC's.

Now I am preparing to roll out Win7 clients and found it doesn't like being ghosted one bit. So I have been playing around with WDS for Win7 clients. Setting up and installing the Win7 OS was pretty straight forward. But how do I go about installing the microsoft updates, software, etc. like I did on my XP clients and then create a master file for other Win7 clients? I'm not seeing that with WDS? Or is it? If not, how are others taking care of this type of problem?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Re: Using WDS

Get hold of the WAIK (Windoze Automated Installation Kit) and investigate ImageX
    Basically you create a reference machine with patches, applications etc, sysprep and then image it to a WIM filein WDS

alternatively, consider deploying updates via WSUS and apps via Group Policy
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

When i had a play with this, i had to sysprep it then did a shutdown.
      after that i booted it back up and made sure it network booted (if it boots normally u have to sysprep it again)
      when it did a network boot i went through the process of uploading the image to the wds server.

Have a look at for more info.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Originally posted by pcsdps
        Now I am preparing to roll out Win7 clients and found it doesn't like being ghosted one bit
        Au contraire mon Capitan, Ghost will work with Windows 7 but you need version 11.5. WDS is a nice free option that has some adventagous features but is also lacks a handy couple of Ghost ones. One thing I don't like about WDS is how it deploys.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015