Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup strategy for WS 2008 R2

Hi *,

I have three servers running Windows Server 2008 R2 with the following roles:

#1: PDC, DHCP, DNS
    #2: DC
    #3: File&print

For backup I can only use Windows server backup.

I have a storage connected to serevr #3 via fiber Optic.

What backup strategy should I implement ? (I have limited backup experience).

Thanks in advance !

Re: Backup strategy for WS 2008 R2

OK, several questions
    Do you need to retain backups or will a daily copy (overwritten each day) do?

Share a folder (on the SAN) on Server 3 then use it as a target for scheduled backups from Server 1 & 2
    For Server 3, that should also work even if it is a "local" drive as long as you access it through the share

Do full backups as long as you have the capacity, otherwise only relevant volumes and system state

If you need retention, script the backups to folders within the SAN share, and schedule using Task Scheduler
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would say that for #1 & #2 a 3 day retention would do.
      For #3, I'd require 14 days for the files and 3 days for the rest.

Is there a way to configure this from Windows server Backup or I have to use another software. Have in mind that there is no funds available .

Thanks !

Comment

You can configure scheduled backups using scripts ( wbadmin) and scheduled tasks
        Create separate folders for each run
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hi again !

Finally made some time to start testing and creating tasks using wbadmin.

case #1 - server has DC and DNS roles
          from Monday till Thursday I'll be running a SystemState, while on Fryday a Bare Metal one.

For the system state backup, which of the bellow command do you suggest I should use

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:\\server_share -systemState -vssFull -quiet

or

wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backupTarget:\\server_share -vssFull -quiet

Thanks in advance !

Comment

When I backup the system state to a local drive the following command has always succeeded:

wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget: -quiet
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Lack of time prevents me from wrtite here as much as I'd like...

I've started a task that is backing up the files from the file server. I'm using the bellow command:

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:\\share -include:E:\Files -vssFull -quiet

Than, using Cobian I'm copying files from \\share to a different location so that I can always have last 5 backups available.

Question is:
              "the above command rewrites the the old backup ?"

For example, I have a backup in \\share from 10.10.2011 and on 11.10.2011 the backup task starts again and completes successfully. Does the new backup contains the one from 10.10 ? I'm using Full.

Thanks in advance !

Comment

I have a problem.

First backup I take is Full but the rest are Incremental.
                Any idea of how can I set using wbadmin so that all backups are Full ?

Thanks !

Comment

Working...
                X