Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Sites, Data Centralization/Replication.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Sites, Data Centralization/Replication.

Hello,

I've recently started at a firm and their data storage is attrocious. They have two offices, some 300 miles apart. Connected via a below average WAN link/VPN.

They store data directly on the DC's, and neither site uses the other sites shares because of the slow(ish) VPN. So there is huge duplication of files and some fragmentation of directory structure.

I was hoping to implement a solution whereby everyone is singing from the same songsheet. Everyone has access to everything. I'm informed DFS would be a great way to do this, but I'd also like to offload the data off the DCs if possible.

User base is about 70 at presnt but growing.

What are peoples opinions on this issue and what would you do?

Re: Two Sites, Data Centralization/Replication.

Definitely DFS, and concur re DCs and files
    But do they have additional servers?

Make sure you clean up the data before implementing DFS -- de-duplicate, reorganise etc.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello,

Site 1 (Head Office)
      • Windows SBS 2008 (FSMO)
      • Windows 2008 (TS)

Site 2 (Branch Office)
      • Windows 2008 R2

Site 1
      Soon I will be migrating the SBS to a seperate Exchange 2010 box and building up a new server to seize the domain master roles. We're bursting at the seams in terms of SBS's licensing.

In terms of having the data seperate to the DCs, what would be the best option? Obviously the solution needs to be present at both sites and be intergratable/assesible by DFS. So 2x NAS or 2x SAN or a new file server at each site?
      Last edited by Spuddy; 19th August 2011, 09:29.

Comment

IMHO the best option would be to have
        Site 1: DC (physical), Exchange, File Server (one or the other may be virtualised)
        Site 2: DC (virtual), File Server (physical)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X