Admin Rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin Rights

I am set as an Admin user in Windows 7 as well as part of the Administrator group through active directory on our Win 2008 r2 server yet on my workstation I cannot do things like delete the browsing history in IE, it's grayed out.

Any ideas?

Re: Admin Rights

Check applied policies, local and group, as they can over-ride default settings even for administrators
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hmm check on client or server? Also, not exactly sure what you are referring to.

Comment

Here is a screenshot of my gpresult from my workstation.
        Last edited by Wired; 19th August 2011, 04:34. Reason: removed pic; contained personal info

Comment

And you have checked the settings in the relevant policies?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I believe I have. I am not super savvy with Active Directory but I've checked what groups that my username that I use to log on my workstation to the domain has and I am part of the built in admin group. I have also check on my workstation that my user account type is Administrator. Is there somewhere else I should be checking?
            Last edited by AaronBHS; 17th August 2011, 18:42.

Comment

Have you checked the actual settings applied in the policies?

Have you tried logging onto a different workstation to see if the issue replicates
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Check you Group Policies as Tom has mentioned as those settings are controlled there.

To check these you need the Group Policy Management console feature turned on.

Comment

Again I don't know Active Directory well so could you explain what exactly I should check in the group policies? I am looking at the group policy management console on the server but I do not see anything that allows me to see things about my groups.

Comment

Advertise for consultant
                    Choose consultant
                    Agree scope of work
                    Pay consultant
                    Wait for final report and solution

Alternatively, go into Group Policy Management Console
                    Expand Domains / Your Domain / Group Policy Objects
                    Click on relevant policy
                    Click on Settings Tab
                    Review Settings
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Open GPMC.
                      Browse to User Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Internet Explorer Maintenance

All of your settings should be in there but you will need to check all available policies in AD.

Comment

Working...
                      X