Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WDS, or 3rd party deployment apps?

Hi all,
    been reading some similar threads about sysprep'ing.
    I am awaiting delivery of 20 Dell Vostro desktops that come complete with Win 7 Pro x64 and MS Office 2010 H&B.
    Now, i have a few other applications that need installing on each pc. I don't want to have to go to each one and install it, cos it's a ball-ache to do so.
    We're on a 2008 R2 domain, and i've absolutely no clue about WDS, although i'm feverishly reading up on it.
    I've also never sysprepped a pc either, but am willing to try, although there seems to be a lot to do and is often fraught with problems, and i may not have the resources to learn AND troubleshoot at the same time.
    Each pc would obviously need to be renamed regardless of how the deployment plan is implemented.

So....i was wondering can the server deploy software other than MS products?

Basically, i need to deploy:
    1. Acrobat Reader / or full Acrobat
    2. Autodesk Design Review 2012
    3. YouSendIt
    4. ABBBY Pdf Convertor
    If so, please advise on the best method of doing so.
    I'm keen to learn more, but as i'm the only I.T. supoprt dude in our company, i can't afford to stretch myself too far as i'm alwasy busy anyway.
    None of the new pc users will have domain or local admin rights, so they can't do the installs themselves (plus they're dumb and i wouldn't want them to).

I use Spiceworks 5.1 to audit the system currently (not sure if that makes any difference)

Sorry for sounding noobish (even though i'm an I.T. admin).
    All advice greatly appreicated.

Re: WDS, or 3rd party deployment apps?

I like WDS, cos it's free and there's plenty of documentation on it. I tend not to put apps other than Office into images though, and where possible use GPOs to assign software.

Adobe has tools for GPO deployment and customisation options, and given how often it's updated I prefer that. Not familiar with the other apps, but if they have an MSI installer they can be deployed via GPO.

You don't need to rename each PC, there are some options there such as pre-staging the computer accounts in AD.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks cruachan.
      I've got plenty of reading ahead.....and probably even more questions.
      I'm just going through this in preparation for the sysprep.

However I did try sysprepping a laptop earlier. I installed:
      win7 enterprise x64 - updated it all
      Office 2010 - put serial key - updated it
      Used registry to delete office key
      installed the apps i mentioned in the OP
      went through the sysprep - audit mode (unchecked generalise), and 'reboot' option

It failed to reboot coming up with an error and asking me to reboot, but it comes up with the same error, so that's buggered that.

This is where i get worried. I can't afford to screw up on syspreppintg 20 pc's.

edit: gonna try again later after reading the MS article. I've created a bootable UDF (usb) 8gb stick.
      just realised that the Enterprise install i did earlier was on top of an old xp install. I thought i chose to wipe and reformat, but obviously not. Maybe that contributed to the failure?
      Last edited by k.jacko; 28th July 2011, 16:35.

Comment

That does happen occasionally, but you won't need to sysprep 20 PCs, just sysprep one and capture the image to WDS, then you can re-deploy it as many times as you like. You should leave the generalise option - this removes anything that uniquely IDs the machine such as name, GUIDs, SIDs etc.
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Sorry, do you mean, CHECK or UNCHECK the generalise option?
          I was advised by someone who has performed a very similar deployment on Dell machines to UNCHECK IT.

Comment

How are you sysprepping? I do it from the command line:-
            sysprep /oobe /generalize /reboot
            is the command I use.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              How are you sysprepping? I do it from the command line:-
              sysprep /oobe /generalize /reboot
              is the command I use.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
              Well so far i've only tried using the executable gui, which 'seems' simple enough.
              I've yet to look at answer files and anything that extra. Not even sure if i'll need them for a WDS deployment or not(??)
              90% in the dark here, lol. But if i don't try it (and don't come to you nice people for advice), i'll never learn.

Comment

Don't worry. I'm right with you though. I don't know much about WDS, and I've certainly never tried it before. (I've never had to). But I'd go with the first suggestion which was to deploy your APS via GPOs since you already have an OS installed from Dell, so therefore, it wouldn't make sense to reformat and reinstall 20 operating systems that already are running fine just for the sake of a few applications.

Comment

Thanks cb, yeah I guess that is the logical and less hassle way, considering i'm in dark territory here.
                  Will look more into deploying .msi's via gpo and aduc.

Comment

No problem at all. I just figure that WDS is for people who are installing the operating systems themselves, (like if a company were to custom build their computers, which I doubt many of them do anymore, except for maybe Google with their web servers, yet I think that those are still Dell PowerEdge models on the surface). and most corporate products come distributed as .msi anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem. I like .msi over other installation methods, not just for the GP benefit, but they also know how to clean up after themselves upon uninstallation.

Comment

Have a look at the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit.

We're using it at the moment to build our client machines and it does what we need it to.

Comment

Personal opinion of course, but I prefer to wipe and rebuild ANY new machine. I don't trust OEMs to do it properly, particularly when there's all of their crap bundled with it. HP are far worse than Dell for that IME. I want a clean slate, with only the apps I choose, and the ability to rebuild a machine in 20 minutes or so is, again IME, usually far quicker and easier than troubleshooting application issues. Most of which are caused by bloody idiot users installing and then uninstalling Google Chrome.
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                          Personal opinion of course, but I prefer to wipe and rebuild ANY new machine. I don't trust OEMs to do it properly, particularly when there's all of their crap bundled with it. HP are far worse than Dell for that IME. I want a clean slate, with only the apps I choose, and the ability to rebuild a machine in 20 minutes or so is, again IME, usually far quicker and easier than troubleshooting application issues. Most of which are caused by bloody idiot users installing and then uninstalling Google Chrome.
                          How true lol.

Comment

Lol, i can understand your frustration cruachan.
                            I'm in 2 minds now:
                            1. Use a reference pc delete the bloatware crap, add the apps i want, sysprep it and deploy it
                              PROS - would be a clean image and exactly how i want it
                              CONS - never done it before, can't really afford for it to go wrong, not when i have 20 machines to do.
                            2. Use GPO to deploy the relevent apps to each target pc.
                              PROS - much easier and quicker than sysprepping
                              CONS - not all apps i want to deploy seem to come as .msi. Some are just .exe. Can they be wrapped in an .msi? (another learning curve)

Comment

Lots of EXE to MSI tools:
                              http://www.google.co.uk/search?sclie...=Google+Search
                              Tom Jones
                              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                              X