Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I find out the Source Server in an existing 2008 R2 Replication Group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find out the Source Server in an existing 2008 R2 Replication Group?

I have 2 servers currently in a replication group, both are on different sites and replicate data over the WAN.
    I want to add a 3rd member into the group but ideally I want to replicate the data from the local member than pull the data from the other server across the link.

I know that when you do this it polls the data from the Source server in the rep group but I don't know how to find out which one is the source?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

jjbeeuk

Re: How do I find out the Source Server in an existing 2008 R2 Replication Group?

If this is DFS, there is no "source" server -- one is marked as primary for the initial replication only, to resolve conflicts, but after that they are peers.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: How do I find out the Source Server in an existing 2008 R2 Replication Group?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes this is DFS.

The reason I am setting this up is in case the other local member server falls over, the other server will be up to date to add to the referrals.
      Once it is in sync I can add it to the namespace, but until then I only want it to pull data from the local peer for the initial replication to save on bandwidth.

If I add the new member into the group and only choose to replicate from that local Peer - can I add a new connection to the 2nd Peer later on? and if I do that will it have to do an initial sync with the other Peer which could take an age...

Comment

From experience, trying to pre-seed a DFS share causes as many problems as it solves as every file needs to be checked for consistency.

You could set up a replication schedule to work mainly out of hours and keep bandwidth down and, IIRC, replication is by BITS so should make intelligent use of available bandwidth
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X