Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Server

Hi All,
    i was after some advice i currently have one domain controller running windows 2008 r2 i am looking to install another one. incase we have any issues with the main one.

what is the best tool / feature i should be using so all the files are replicated on both servers so the user never knows we have an issue?

Re: File Server

DFS, especially if the servers are in the same site (and even if they are not)

Set up a domain DFS root and add your shares to that on the first server, then add the second server. You will need to remap drives / shortcuts so they point to \\domain.local\dfsroot\share rather than \\server\share but once this is done, there is not further reconfiguration
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Mate,
      so nothing else would need configuring so i can effectively turn off the main DC and this will take over and vica versa? is there a way of load balancing between the too?

Comment

As far as DFS goes, if a server goes down, the other will take up the load seamlessly

For Active Directory, things are a bit more complex, but you can temporarily take a DC offline without problems (bearing in mind other services such as DNS and DHCP it may be providing)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If you really want replication between servers, you'd want to implement clustering. (only available in the Enterprise edition). Clustering works so that each server in the cluster knows which load it's taking, and then if a server goes down, the others sort of "vote" on who takes up the server's services, but there has to be a majority, so if there are only two server's left, for instance, none of them can take up the load of the fallen server due to the fact of their being no majority. However, you tell us that you only have two servers, so I don't think that's an option for you unfortunately. Or is it just too domain controllers?

Comment

Keep in mind clustering requires Enterprise Edition (sorry, you said that), also a SAN infrastructure to provide a central set of data both members can access. Also one server is essentially idle, waiting for the other to fail. Nothing is really being replicated, just stored centrally with both members having access to it.

In the original scenario it seems like overkill when "normal" replication of data will do the job perfectly well
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

It's hard to tell then what's needed in terms of replication and failover though, isn't it? I think I said that because it seems that clusters are more common these days.

Comment

Working...
              X