Server Settings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Settings?

I have 5 users all stand alone with internet acces. I want to set up a server and have a network where I can control the users and computers.

I bought windows server 2008 standard and win 7 pro on workstations..
    One question is to set up the server for the ip configuration in the network adapter I have my ip set to 192.168.249 where the router is 192.168.1.254....subnet is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is 192.168.1.2 with the dns primary 192.168.1.249

I also put on the desktops in there settings in there network configs i check there primary dns 192.168.1.249 the ip of the server so the user can get to the internet.....now is this a good model to set it up this way?

Also what is the home directory under profile tab and how is it use to map drives?

As for the last answer about the home directory...The drive mapping was already established as this but I am confused about it...as follows:

Through GPO (group policy objects I guess?)

O:\ is the office share

V:\ is the dbev share used for the software my users use

Through AD

HOme directory under profile tabbed is U:\

all of the above mapped drives reside on the data partition E:\

I need help as to the best and easiest way to get this running smoothly I think I could do better. Please all advice is helpful....
    Please give me feed back....

Re: Server Settings?

I assume you have made the server a DC -- if so, you are following recommended practice for IP configuration

Home Directory allows you to map a drive to a server share, normally in the format of "Connect U: to \\server\users\%username%" This doesnt have anything to do with the actual drive on the server you have the share on.

Basically, all looks OK, but if you tell us specific problems, you can get more help
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

you can usually set the home directory to what ever location you want, or do a login.bat file that sends it to the location w/ other mapped drives you would want for the user. for easier control, try installing keck from techtoolbox to help you with contol over your active directory.

Comment

After all this I found out I dont have the role DHCP installed.
        I began installing the role and stopped when it asked me for the ip, In win2k8 it needs to be the center of the world ....
        well I got into the netopia router and here were the settings..gateway was 98.93.104.1...primary dns=205.152.37.23 and the local wan ip is 98.93.104.115....so what do i plug into the DHCP? and for the dns entry?...Forwarder if that is right....

Thanks in advance

Comment

I presume the router is using NAT so the public settings will not apply inside your LAN

Normally you set DHCP to give the DC as the local DNS server, and put your ISPs DNS servers as forwarders on the DNS server

Can you post an IPCONFIG/ALL from the DC and we can give you recommended DHCP settings?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am sorry Ossian here is the ipconfig all

ip configuration in the network adapter I have my ip set to 192.168.249 where the router is 192.168.1.254....subnet is 255.255.255.0 and the gateway is 192.168.1.2 with the dns primary 192.168.1.249 does that help

I also put on the desktops in there settings in there network configs i check there primary dns 192.168.1.249 the ip of the server so the user can get to the internet.....now is this a good model to set it up this way?

Thanks in advance for your time and help..

Comment

Sorry, but thats not an IPCONFIG/ALL

Can you run an elevated command prompt (right click and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR) then type in "IPCONFIG/ALL > C\:ip.txt" (Dont type the quotes)

Then open the file C:\ip.txt and copy the content into a reply here
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Just hire someone. He's probably done within a couple of hours.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

all right this is what i got....

Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : d....
                  Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : ////.local
                  Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
                  IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                  WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                  DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ////.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
                  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : IBM USB Remote NDIS Network Device
                  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5E-F3-FC-28-09-3E
                  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
                  Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.95.120(Preferred)
                  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                  Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, August 11, 2011 6:57:36 AM
                  Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 14, 2011 5:17:42 PM
                  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
                  DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.95.118
                  NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
                  Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connectio
                  n #2
                  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5C-F3-FC-28-09-3C
                  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connectio
                  n
                  Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5C-F3-FC-28-09-3B
                  DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                  IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.249(Preferred)
                  Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                  Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
                  DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.249
                  NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Comment

OK, start by disabling the LAN3 connection (169.254.x.x) on the server and change the LAN connection to static (with current settings)

DHCP should have the following options:
                    003 Router: 192.168.1.254
                    004 DNS 192.168.1.257
                    015 DNS Domain Name to match the DNS part of the host name you have deleted

Or get a consultant for a few hours
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Osian,
                      Thanks so much this worked...you are a mod and gave sometime Dumber quit and said hire someone....you are greatly appreciated....I am not sure why you have mods like dumber....but that goodness your there....

Mi32

Comment

Marcel is also a Mod, and a heck of a lot more knowledgable than me, but I had extra information that he did not. I strongly recommend an edit to your post above and an apology to him.
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by mi32
                          I need help as to the best and easiest way to get this running smoothly I think I could do better. Please all advice is helpful....
                          Please give me feed back....
                          Dumber did exactly what you asked. He told you the best and easiest way to get it running smoothly. It was a viable option.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You where looking for a fast and easy solution.
                            You where getting stuck on IMHO pretty basic questions. And there is nothing wrong about it, in fact we all started there.

So I'm not discouraging you but when hiring a consultant, he can help you and give you a fast and useful training on the job.
                            This way you will learn much quicker then just follow some steps without actually knowing what you do. A consultant isn't only there to get money out of your pocket, but also to resolve your issues and give you a training during the resolving process. At least, IMHO that should be a part of his job.

Anyhow you followed some steps Tom told you, but did you really learned something about it?
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                            X