Deleting a file across mapped drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleting a file across mapped drive

I have clients that are not part of a domain, but i map drives to a domain data server, if i delete a file on the server, where does it go?

Re: Deleting a file across mapped drive

If you delete it from a workstation with the drive mapped it's gone, (when the filesystem inodes are reused), if you log into the server that hosts the network share, and delete a file from the shared folder, it goes in to the recycle bin on the server.

Comment

Could you explain why, and also, i have a terastation that is a raid 5, deleted files goes to the terastation's recycle bin!. Is there something i can setup on the server to act like a terastation so they won't delete? Or is there something i can do to prevent that. I would think that microsoft would do something about accidental deletion, which i'm sure happens all the time around the world.

Also again , if i make client's part of the domain, they still store their files locally unless i create a roaming profile, but if i don't, and they are mapped, will they still be deleted?

Thanks

Comment

I assume this is specific behaviour of the terastation -- as stated, normally network deleted files bypass the bin. There are several options to overcome this: Shadow Copies (snapshot every X hours) and 3rd party replacements for the bin like ExecSoft Undelete

Sorry, don't quite understand the second question?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

what i meant was, since my data server is part of a domain, if I make a client part of that domain, does that somehow change things, even though the clients main data (documents,desktop,etc) is stored on their local computer.

Comment

No, no change at all -- files deleted locally go to bin, files deleted remotely (or via CMD prompt) do not
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X