Windows 2008 R2 DFS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 R2 DFS

Hi, i currently have two Domain controllers, one in UK & one in USA which host DFS root.

Both sites are in amesh replication topolgy and the system works.
    I want to add a second domain controller to the UK site for resiliency in both AD & DFS.

The Domaion controllers also have the files stored on them on a seperate volume.

Can you tell me if i need to copy the data from the current Dc to the new one before i configure DS onto the new server. im concerned in that if i configure DFS on the new server as it does not have any data it will delete the current data.

Thanks in advance

Re: Windows 2008 R2 DFS

When you configure DFS you specify a primary server which is authoritative and source of data in any conflicts during initial replication. This will be the one which has the full set of data and will therefore copy to the other one. You will not lose data!

From experience, pre-copying data only slows down DFS as it has to run through comparisons between files.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi, Thanks for your reply.
      I assume i set up the replication first, then go through and add the shared etc.

is it at the replication stage i specify which server is primary?

Thanks again

Comment

You create the DFS root, then add shares. Once you add a second target for a share, you will be prompted to set up replication, just use the wizard. Primary server is specified then (and only applies to initial replication)
        Last edited by Ossian; 19th July 2011, 10:10.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,
          little confused here.
          I already have a DFS root with 2 DC's serving that root.
          I then have my shares e.g accounts which is refered by two servers (both DC's in this case)

What im thinking of doing is adding a new DC to the root so i will have UK_DC1, UK_DC2(NEW) US_DC1, but let this also be a third share refereal, so accounts share will have 3 servers (shares) listed under it.

hope this makes sense.

Thanks again

Comment

Basically, just add shares / targets, then follow the wizard
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Working...
            X