Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No access to user's Profile.v2 folder

Hi All,

I'm using Folder Redirection and Roaming Profiles. In Active Directory I have set the users profile path as:

\\servername\users$\students\%username%\profile

When the user logs on for the first time folders such as AppData, Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos are created and so is a Profile.V2 folder. However I (as the administrator) cannot access the contents of the Profile.V2 folder on Windows Server 2008. In Group Policy I have enabled the setting...
    Computer Confiiguration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System/User Profiles\Add Administrators security group to roaming user profiles
    ...but I still cannot access this direcotry without taking ownership.
    Do I need to create the Profile.V2 folder myself? I have Full permissions on the user's base folder and I can access all the other folders (AppData, Documents etc...) without problems.

Am I missing something here?

BR,
    KR

Re: No access to user's Profile.v2 folder

That GPO setting needed to be set before the roaming profiles were created. It does nothing after the fact. For any profiles created before you set the GPO setting you'll have to take ownership or delete the profile and let Windows recreate it. You should NOT create the profile folders manually. In addition, change the profile path to \\servername\users$\students\%username% as there's no technical or logical reason to have the profile folder at the end the way you have it now.

The folder structure will look like this after the profiles are created:

\\servername\users$\students\johndoe
    \\servername\users$\students\janedoe

as opposed to

\\servername\users$\students\johndoe\profile\johnd oe
    \\servername\users$\students\johndoe\profile\janed oe

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      In addition, change the profile path to \\servername\users$\students\%username% as there's no technical or logical reason to have the profile folder at the end the way you have it now.

The folder structure will look like this after the profiles are created:

\\servername\users$\students\johndoe
      \\servername\users$\students\janedoe
      Thanks for the advice joe, but should the paths be \\servername\users$\students\%username% even when you're using romaing profile with folder redirection (i.e. User state virtualization)?

BR,
      KR

Comment

Roaming profiles and Folder Redirection are two independent components. They're often configured together but one isn't related to the other. The Folder Redirection path should be outside of the romaing profile path, otherwise you'll defeat the purpose of Folder Redirection, which is to redirect folders out of the user profile in order to speed up logon/logoff times, etc.

The roaming profile path should be something to this affect:

\\server\share\%username%

That way profiles will be created as such:

\\server\share\johndoe
        \\server\share\janedoe

The path for Redirected Folders should be something to this affect:

\\server\share\

which will then created redirected folders like this:

\\server\share\johndoe\johndoe's Documents

The roaming profile share and the Redirected Folders share should not be the same share. Also, do not create the roaming profile folder or the Redirected Folders folder for any user manually. Windows will create them, with the correct permissions, when the user logs on for the first time.

Here's a guide on setting up Redirected Folders, as well as the permissions that should be set at the parent folder. I use the same permissions for the roaming profiles parent folder as well:

http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/a...direction.html

Comment

Working...
        X