Dumb Question - Unable to ping local domain name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Question - Unable to ping local domain name

I have a VERY dumb question that for some reason I cannot figure out.

We have the domain contoso.local. I can ping contoso.local and get a response. However I cannot ping "contoso". It is a bit of an annoyance especially when we are adding a computer to the domain. It would be nice to just type 'contoso' instead of 'contoso.local'

From my DC (also our DNS server), I see the primary dns suffix as "contoso.local" and selected the 'append primary and connection specific dns suffixes' and checked 'append parent suffixes of the primary dns suffix'. The computer's DNS is set to 127.0.0.1.

The DNS entries for 'contoso.local' show:

(same as parent folder) Host (A) 192.168.1.11
    (same as parent folder) Name Server (NS) dc1.contoso.local
    (same as parent folder) Start of Authority (SOA) [51], dc1.contoso.local., hostmaster.contoso.local.

What is the obvious thing I'm missing?

Thanks for your time.

Re: Dumb Question - Unable to ping local domain name

just "contoso" by itself is not actually a doamain name, which is why you can't ping it.

You should though, be able to join it by using just contoso.

Exactly the same thing occurs in my environment here
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Also, the loopback address should not be used on its own, but should follow the actual IP address of the server

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...62(WS.10).aspx
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Sounds like you may have given contoso.local as the actual hostname of the machine rather than contoso at some point during your installation/configuration. You may be able to simply create a CNAME record of contoso. within your DNS (the dot at the end terminates and will not try to append the domain name to it) I do agree that it should not pointing to the local loop of 127.0.0.1 but to the actual IP of the host.

Hope that it helps.

Comment

Working...
        X