how to clone the server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to clone the server

what is the preferred cloning program to clone my windows dc hard disk. i prefer cloning as a backup measure

Re: how to clone the server

Originally posted by kinalas View Post
    what is the preferred cloning program to clone my windows dc hard disk. i prefer cloning as a backup measure
    Up to you really, depending on the down time you are willing to acccept

I have had good results with offline imaging with Acronis, but if you need online, there are tools like Backup Exec Data Protection (not quite sure of the exact name) and (IIRC) Microsoft System Centre DPM
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What will the server be doing???

I would never clone a DC under any circumstances.

My personal choice would be Acronis. I use this at home and work and have grat success in restoring machines, never servers though.

IMO though i'd invest in a proper backup strategy and tsting program to ensure that you are covered for a basic server install then restore from there.

Comment

yea.. if you clone your DC, what's going to happen when your primary fails, and you bring your clone back on line
        your domain is going to be veerrry confused
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

And I have something in the back of my mind about 30 days and SID (or os it Kerberos) life.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

IIRC the recommendation with HyperV DCs is NEVER, EVER, roll back to a snapshot so the same presumably applies to clones
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X