No announcement yet.

RD Session Host on a Domain Controller

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RD Session Host on a Domain Controller

Our school has 1000 users running from a new server. The school is protected by a corporate firewall. About 20 teachers now require remote access to the server. I doubt this would be heavily used; but in holidays it would be very handy. After the new server was up and running, I wiped the old server, installed 2008R2 and recently installed AD Domain services on this machine. I now have the CALS; but when I began the process of adding remote desktop services to this computer, I got the message that it was not advisable to do so (for fairly obvious reasons) Could I ask for opinions on this? It's not a corporate site; but it's important that the RDS also runs correctly. Resources are finite; I can't really ask for a new server for the RDS role; I suppose I could ask for a top notch desktop machine. Having the second GC server provides at least some disaster fallback, doesn't it? Thanks for your time - it's much appreciated.

Re: RD Session Host on a Domain Controller

Instead of allowing RD to the DC.. could you create VPN and allow the users RD access to their local PC's... much safer.

but much harder for the end-users to understand, as opposed to the admin just creating one RDP connection, or even publishing it.

i guess the other question here is, you mention two servers - the new dc, and the one you rebuilt and have put AD on

is there anything else around ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

What do they need access to?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **