Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 unexpected shutdowns

Hi everyone,

I have noticed that every 2 weeks our server will unexpectedly restart. The event logs show event id 6008 saying "The previous system shutdown at xxxx on xx/xx/xxxx was unexpected." The only other event prior to event id 6008 is event id 5 stating "The virtual storage filter driver is disabled through the registry. It is inactive for all disk drives." It appears event id 5 occurs during system startup and may not have anything to do with the restarts but I thought it might be worth mentioning. I have checked the task scheduler for scheduled reboots and there is nothing enabled that would allow anything like that to occur. I checked Windows update and that hasn't updated for a few months. This problem began at the end of February and I figured it might have to do with a system update but it began on Feb 23rd and our last update (Windows Powershell & WinRM) was Feb 24th.

I started to think it might be hardware issue so we purchased a redundant power supply and have both PSUs connected to a backup UPS. For the time being, the restarts are not occurring during business hours which makes it difficult to troubleshoot but fortunately does not half our operations. I'm at a complete loss here, if anyone is willing to point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Server 2008 unexpected shutdowns

make sure you have memory dumps enabled, so you can get some error output.
    also, run a thorough memory check, and disk check
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Memory dumps are enabled but nothing is saved. As mentioned this is our production server so I can't run a disk check unless I reboot the machine, which isn't going to happen right now. Do you recommend any tools in particular for the memory check? The first ones that come to mind are memtest86 and prime95 but those require the server to be offline..

Comment

I was (am) having the same problem on a Dell PowerEdge 830 with SBS 2003. Normally when no event is logged, there is a likely chance it is power related. Any time I have seen a memory dump, an event has been written to the log first. Even a BSOD leaves a clue in the event log, especially RAM.

We updated the BIOS on the server three weeks ago and so far, we have not had a random reboot.
        Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

I read updating the firmware may help so that might be something to consider. The strange thing to note is that it consistently does it every 14 days with the exception of 1 time it went 13 days.

Comment

What do your event logs say???

Specifically look for a SAVEDUMP message.

Comment

There's nothing in the hardware events. There is nothing significant that appears to occur before the restart happens, I filtered a view for 2 hours before and after the system restart happened. All the logs after the restart occurs are startup info logs (DHCP, time service, Hyper-V) and the logs before the restart occur almost an hour before it even happens. I am not seeing any SAVEDUMP messages, are you referring to a memory dump? I searched the filesystem and found no *.dmp files.

Comment

Remove the checkbox that tells the system to automatically reboot on error.

Do you have any scheduled tasks running that could be doing it???

Are there any on other servers that could be shutting down the machine remotely??

Comment

I removed the checkbox and will have to wait until the next expected system restart: July 12th. There are no enabled tasks, I did have one set to restart the system for system maintenance during non-business hours but that has been disabled since the 1 time I ran it. As far as other servers shutting it down remotely, there aren't any that are permitted to do so. Unless this is some sort of malicious attack or malfunctioning hardware, I'm not really sure what else to classify this as.

Comment

Originally posted by crowntech View Post
                    Memory dumps are enabled but nothing is saved. As mentioned this is our production server so I can't run a disk check unless I reboot the machine, which isn't going to happen right now. Do you recommend any tools in particular for the memory check? The first ones that come to mind are memtest86 and prime95 but those require the server to be offline..

well, yes. these things require down time.
                    However, you should have a scheduled window anyway for maintenance. what happens wheny ou need to patch the server?

updating the firmware also requires downtime.. so how would you acheive that ?
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Have you tried updating your BIOS yet as I suggested? It was suggested to me and has worked so far. It was also something you heard - updating your firmware. Why not bring your system up to date first and then start diagnosing it?

Comment

I will update the firmware at the end of the business day today and further diagnose the problem. Let's say for example updating the firmware makes the situation worse, how would I go about reverting to the current revision?

Comment

I am not sure what make server you have but either will have previos BIOS versions or the BIOS update utility will allow you to make a backup first. I am ony speaking for myslef, but I have never had to revert back to an old BIOS on a Dell or IBM server. I have not had much history with other brands like Proliant or Lenovo. Thanks.

Comment

We are running an HP ProLiant DL180 G5. Thank you for your feedback, I will keep you posted on the situation.

Update: So the time approached to take care of the situation but my boss wants me to save it for next week due to the high work volume. One thing I did notice is the server is due for quite a few updates (30+), I asked to install them but the fear of breaking something was too high so I was told to leave it alone.
                            Last edited by crowntech; 1st July 2011, 23:49.

Comment

Ok, they've told you not to install those updates.
                              They've also told you to delay the installation of other patches that could assist the situation.

So, just wait for it to fall over again. then say "told you i needed to do this"

Comment

Working...
                              X