GPO's that will work on a Windows 7 desktop in a server 2003 enviroment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPO's that will work on a Windows 7 desktop in a server 2003 enviroment

GPO's that will work on a Windows 7 desktop in a server 2003 enviroment.
    The title says it all. I would like to know what GPO settings wont work on a Windows 7 system that is in a server 2003 functional level. I had a coworker tell me that we arent able to manage Windows 7 systems unless we upgrade to a 2008 funtional level. Does anyone know if there is truth to that? and what settings cant be managed?

Re: GPO's that will work on a Windows 7 desktop in a server 2003 enviroment

I don't think he's quite correct.

You get a whole bunch more policies with 2008, sure. You also get soemthing called GPPrefs. But I'm pretty sure you don't need to be in native functional mode for them
    In fact, you could probably get away with just installing the schema updates (adprep /gp or whatever the command is)

It's almost impossible for anyone to give you a thorough list like you are asking for..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: GPO's that will work on a Windows 7 desktop in a server 2003 enviroment

You can't Fully manage Windows 7 clients, but you can manage them without upgrading the Domain/Schema and without installing the RSAT on a Windows Vista or Windows 7 client.

In addition, there are only a few components that actually require a Schema extension: the wired, wireless, and BitLocker enhancements to GP.

If you don't need to manage the Windows 7 enhanced settings for the aforementioned items then no Schema extension is required.

If you don't need to manage any Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 specific settings then you don't need to install the RSAT either.

Comment

Working...
      X