Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enabling the aero theme on windows 7 after joining to a Windows server 2008 r2 domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enabling the aero theme on windows 7 after joining to a Windows server 2008 r2 domain

I am learning for MCITP and currently looking at Active Directory.
    My system is being run on VMware workstation 7 with 2 DC's (Windows Server 08 R2 Enterprise) for fault tolerance, one member server (Windows Server 08 R2 standard) for file sharing, DHCP & Routing (to take the internet which is coming from a wireless adapter on the host and to route it round the network together with DHCP to dynamically assign IP addresses to client computers (and WSUS for quick deployment of updates)) and a couple of windows 7 clients for testing.

My problem is that when i join a windows 7 client to the domain, the aero theme disappears and is replaced by the plain basic theme. I have searched high and low on the all internet forums for a solution and none seem to be working. I have tried with GP, with "force specific styles" or "load specific theme" with the correct .theme/.msstyles path, my colleague tells me that when you join a Windows 7 client to a domain you lose certain features and functionality. In addition my GP settings are set that users in the OU cannot change desktop or wallpaper etc. I have also tried a hot-fix from Microsoft which doesn't seem to help either.

Does anyone have a solution?
    thanks in advance

Re: Enabling the aero theme on windows 7 after joining to a Windows server 2008 r2 do

In your domain controller
    Administrative tools>Group Policy Management>Default domain policy(left of screen)>under administrative templates(right of screen)>Control panel/display/desktop themes

open the Group Policy Editor
    - enable Prevent selection of windows and buttons styles
    This has to be enabled in order for domain users to be able to enable aero on win 7

Comment

Re: Enabling the aero theme on windows 7 after joining to a Windows server 2008 r2 do

Originally posted by devil786 View Post
      In your domain controller
      Administrative tools>Group Policy Management>Default domain policy(left of screen)>under administrative templates(right of screen)>Control panel/display/desktop themes

open the Group Policy Editor
      - enable Prevent selection of windows and buttons styles
      This has to be enabled in order for domain users to be able to enable aero on win 7
      hi thanks for answering my question, what other gp policies do i have to enable? do all theme related policies have to be done in the default domain policy?

Comment

i think that i have found the root of the problem, if you have already logged in with a user and then change the policy to enable/force/load specific theme in addition to other restrictions in the personalization policy, that user will still get the old plain theme/style. the "load specific theme" policy only works on users first logon
        Thanks to everyone for all the time and effort they put in to reading/replying-to this post.
        take care
        enjoy

Comment

Working...
        X