tracking users activity on sbs2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracking users activity on sbs2008

i search for a tool that will monitor my server and show me what each user do

or activity

if the program/tool is free i will appreciate this

i have sbs 2008
    and a network with xp+win 7

Many Thanks
    Ofer Fisher

Re: tracking users activity on sbs2008

how do you mean "What each user does"
    do you want to monitor what applications they run, or install, or uninstall, or what documents they open/create/close/delete/edit or what internet sites they open etc?

you need to be a bit more specific - once you actually define what you want to monitor, then you will be able to find something suitable

And I should note - if you decide to monitor "everything" - then who is going to go through all that data, and how much space will you need...
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      how do you mean "What each user does"
      do you want to monitor what applications they run, or install, or uninstall, or what documents they open/create/close/delete/edit or what internet sites they open etc?

you need to be a bit more specific - once you actually define what you want to monitor, then you will be able to find something suitable

And I should note - if you decide to monitor "everything" - then who is going to go through all that data, and how much space will you need...

sorry
      i need to know about the documents they open/create/close/delete/edit
      in the server

Comment

you could turn on file system auditing.

you would still need to then go through the logs of course. I cna't provide the name of a specific tool.. most of the places I work don't have such a need.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Object Access Auditing, plus a 3rd party tool such as GFI Event Viewer or the (free) Microsoft tool EventCombMt

You are setting yourself up for a LOT of work, though -- what is the business case for auditing file access?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i have a user that use 1TB of data when he connected to the server (VPN CONNECTION )

Comment

You mean they have created 1Tb of files?
              You could try FSRM and filter large files for the user in question
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

no the user used a 1TB of data(VPN connection )
                i wish to know why this user using to many network bandwidth

Comment

over what period?

It sounds like possibly all his internet access is going through your gateway, which means he possibly did a lot of torrent downloading..

Comment

i have logs if any one wish to see
                    the time period is 32H

Comment

have you spoken to the user ?

Basically - no matter what software you use, you won't be able to retroactivelly view this information, unless you already had the auditing enabled

Comment

yes i did
                        his data folder have 15GB of data
                        so he dont know how he used 1tb
                        and the vpn software dont allow to use the vpn as default rout

Comment

Working...
                        X