2nd server core install not talking with 1st

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd server core install not talking with 1st

I setup a server 2k8 r2 core install to run hyper-v on 1st server, to migrate an old domain over to new virtualised domain. All gone well.

Am now setting up 2nd install to also run hyper-v, share load and offer redundancy. However, 2nd server cannot seem to talk to first. It can ping/tracert all other items on subnet, but cannot ping/tracert the 1st server or any servers hosted on that server.

DNS is setup correctly, all names resolve. Have tried as static and DHCP ip. Firewall is disabled on 2nd server. Can ping/tracert everything (websites, other machines on same/different subnets) but refuses to communicate with 1st server core. All other machines can communicate with 1st server. pinging 2nd server from other machine can sometimes produce timeouts.

Any ideas? Have tried various DNS/IP settings, flushed DNS, switched firewall on and off, allowing the various things to be allowed thru the firewall. I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious, but not sure what.
    James
    MCP

Re: 2nd server core install not talking with 1st

Originally posted by swfblade View Post
    pinging 2nd server from other machine can sometimes produce timeouts.
    Ok actually it produces a lot of timeout, using -t running around 2000 requests, about 98% failed.
    James
    MCP

Comment

have you set appropriate firewall permissions ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

on which server? the 2nd one? I have set permissions and even turned the firewall off on that server, but still no joy.
        James
        MCP

Comment

Do you also have Hyper-V enabled on the second server? How is your virtual network configured?
          gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Yes, Hyper-V is enabled on the 1st server. No, it is not yet enabled on the 2nd server. It is a basic Server 2008 Enterprise Core install. Nothing else has been done to it, other than setting up the network card.

V-Lan on the 1st server is just setup as normal Lan config, as far as i am aware. It is an external Lan, using one of the network interface cards. That can be seen/Ping'd/whatever from all other network devices, except the 2nd server.
            James
            MCP

Comment

oh bugger..... I tried a few settings on the 1st server's virtual network. Tried the "Access host through a VLan" setting. It failed, and now I am unable to connect to the 1st server host remotely at all. Cant ping it - by ip or by FQDN - cant rdp into it, cant manage virtual servers using SCVMM... uh oh...
              James
              MCP

Comment

ok reg hack sorted that out. Still having issues with the initial problem, but I am just going to go ahead and setup the Hyper-V on that server, as from SCVMM that server is now visble, tho it is still not to anything else. going to try it and see what happens...
                James
                MCP

Comment

I've decided to dump server core for now, so have installed a full install of Server 2008 Ent. on the 2nd server. Same issues.

Can ping external's. Can ping other items on LAN, except those located on the first server, including the 1st server. Other items on LAN (eg. my laptop) get a very intermittent ping response from the server. i'd say on average 9 out of 10 time out, but the odd one gets through no problem.

Is it me, or is this starting to smell like hardware..?
                  James
                  MCP

Comment

Just for testing I am going to install Server 2003 on the 2nd server. When it had 2003 on it before, it worked fine, so I am going to see if perhaps its a compatibility issue with 2008.
                    James
                    MCP

Comment

And its the same. I have used 2nd server to ping a completely separate server on the network and it works fine. Using that separate server to ping 2nd server and.... mostly time outs in a very similar fashion to when 2008 was installed on it! I am now convinced that this is hardware, as before I installed the "1st" server physically, 2nd server would talk to "separate" server no problem at all.
                      James
                      MCP

Comment

well this has moved on now.

To try and work out what is going on, I have done the following;
                        I have setup a small LAN independant of anything else. I am using a Laptop running Win7, plugged into a Netgear 24 port switch. Part of workgroup. I have done a fresh install of win2003 on 2nd server and also plugged that straight into switch. Both talk to each other, perfectly fine, ping/tracert etc etc.

As soon as I plug the switch into in the main network*, BANG! I can no longer reliably ping the server, but server can ping the laptop. Tracert also is inconsistant. Would I be better off posting in a networking section of the forums now? or is this still somehow related to server 2008?

I am at brain bleed time now, so if anycan offer any advice on this at all, I would really really appreciate it.

*main network is the one running a server core 2008 host with VM's as a domain.
                        James
                        MCP

Comment

What networking hardware do you have on the main network?
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Netgear 24 port gigabit switches locally, Cisco PIX 506e connecting 2 sites via VPN over ADSL.

Just to add also, this server that has been restored was running a server 2003 install that has been Physical to Virtual converted and now running on the hyper-v host... Could it possibly be Mac address'...?
                            James
                            MCP

Comment

And sure enough, the Vserver had replicated the mac address...changed it and voila! thanks guys, guess this can be closed now.
                              James
                              MCP

Comment

Working...
                              X