No announcement yet.

Windows 2008 R2 Performance Metrics threshold

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 R2 Performance Metrics threshold

Need to know the threshold values of Various performance metrics for my Citrix servers which are Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Base build.

Server Specs:
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with SP1.
    Server Role: XenApp 6 Server
    CPU: Intel Xeon CPU [email protected] GHz (shows 24 CPUs in Task Manager-Performance Tab)
    RAM: 24 GB

I am using Citrix EdgeSight to monitor the performance of the servers and EdgeSight does show me these metrics with Default values which I think I should change. Example: Total Sessions threshold in edgesight is set to 40 and the load on my servers is set to 60. My servers can take upto 60 users and when sessions count exceeds 40, edgesight shows this metric in red. Now I have changed it to 60 and its GREEN. However I want to know the threshold value of other metrics as well. The Performance Metrics are below. Values next to each metric in Paranthesis shows the default threshold value set by Edgesight which I can change.
    CPU: %Privileged Time(40%), %Total Processor time(40%), Interrupts per sec(1000/Sec).
    Memory: %Committed Bytes in use(40%), Committed Bytes (1024000MB), Page Faults per Sec(1000/sec).
    Disk: %Disk Time(40%), Current Disk Queue Length (2 requests).
    System: Context Switches (10000 per Sec), Processor Queue Length(5 threads).

Re: Windows 2008 R2 Performance Metrics threshold

Following steps:

Create a BASELINE performance graph - IE, what the server's performance levels are when it's doing basically nothing.

Then create another, with simulated load.

Then apply relevant business logic, to create your own internal thresholds.

Basically, what it comes down to is it's going to be specific for your environment. For instance, if I have 8 processors, with quad-core, then I probably wouldn't care about 40% processor time.
    If I only had 1 processor with quadcore, than40% may be much more realistic.

OF course.. I'd then consider the fact that a bursting CPU to 40% may not be of concern, unless it's maintained for over 5 minutes, for arguments sake.

What i'm trying to say is, we can't really tell you what your thresholds should be.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point