• JMD
    started a topic Slow transfer speed in 2008 server

Slow transfer speed in 2008 server

Specs:
    - Windows 2008 x64 Server
    - EPoX motherboard with an Opteron 170
    - Adaptec 3805
    - 8x 2TB Seagate

My problem started a few weeks ago. Suddenly transfer rate from server to stationary is only ~20 MB/s, where i earlier would get 100+ MB/s. I updated windows around that time aswell, so i thought that were the reason - however, i removed all the updates, and the problem still exist.

Ive tried disabling autotuning - didnt help. Ive disabled IPv6 - didnt help. Updated the controller driver - no change.

I ran an ATTO Disk Benchmark, to see if it were windows-transfer related, and i think this answer that:
    i52.tinypic.com/3503346.png

My problem now is: I have no clue how to fix this.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

• biggles77
    replied
    Re: Slow transfer speed in 2008 server

Interesting bit of info greenitman. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• agreenitman
    replied

I just found this out the other day; there are specific hard drives that must be used with RAID. These drives have much better error correction abilities. Normal drives are slower to perform error correction, and thus the raid controller gets confused and thinks the drive has gone bad. Imagine it as a timeout issue.

The raid specific hard drives are labeled as Enterprise or RAID.

I have used many, many standard drives in my server only to have them fail over and over again after a week. But, when I would pull the "failed" drives and scanned them on another machine they would be just fine. I could stick the drive back in the server and it would rebuild just fine, and then a few days later, failure.

Turns out, as soon as I used Enterprise drives (more expensive, what do you know) I had no more problems with failures.

This is something you might want to look into.

Leave a comment:

• JMD
    replied

Nope, no change.. the RAID is just as crappe as before

Really disappointed in Adaptec, for approving a drive that is bad for RAID - and then later when you open a case they say "yea we know that already" ...

Leave a comment:

• wullieb1
    replied

Thanks for the update. Its much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• JMD
    replied

Update from Adaptec:

"You are correct that the ST32000542AS drives are problematic at 3.0 GB/second speeds, please try the drives jumpered to the 1.5GB/second position"

So im gonna try that! Im gonna keep this thread updated, so if anyone else faces the same problem, they can look here

Leave a comment:

• JMD
    replied

Just had another drive disappearing and reappearing.. Thank you Adaptec for approving drives that suck.

I opened up an RMA at Adaptec's site, and it has been 12 days since their last reply.

Leave a comment:

• JMD
    replied

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
    Can you take the system offline and test the drives at all???

Clicking from a server would be something i'd be looking into sooner rather than later.
    I just had two drives "failing". Did a rescan, and the drives appeared again - tho one were without data - luckily it could just do a rebuild. Ive had quite a few episodes where one disk disappears and then reappears, which results in a rebuild. The drives are desktop drives, but they are on Adaptec's approved list - altho that list seems to be inaccurate.

Ive opened an RMA case with Adaptec, asking them what to do with my $2000 setup. It seems clear to me, that the drives are no fit for the controller.

Leave a comment:

• wullieb1
    replied

Can you take the system offline and test the drives at all???

Clicking from a server would be something i'd be looking into sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• JMD
    replied

Hmm, ive started to notice small hiccups in the connection, when streaming music or transfering data.. hmm doesnt seem too good. When the hiccups occurs, ive noticed a clicking sound from the server.. not too good either!

But the RAID controller says that all the drives are just fine.. maby its the system drive? (2.5" SATA disk - its online counter says 15255 hours on, and just 150 startups).

Leave a comment:

• JMD
    replied

After remodeling the room, and changing the network cable to the server (to a longer and poorer quality one actually) - im getting a horrible ATTO result of roughly 17 MB/s read og 25 MB/s write. However! Im getting 40 MB/s with windows transfers..

I dont get this.. something is severely messed up.

Leave a comment:

• JMD
    replied

What is the RAID type and card type???

Any drive failures???

Install the latest available stable firmware and drivers for the RAID controller.
    All drives are reported as "optimal". I had a drive sort-of-failure some weeks ago, but that drive was swapped.

As stated in the first post - im using an Adaptec 3805 (http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/product...alue/sas-3805/). Im using the latest firmware the driver for the RAID controller.

In one of the following days, im gonna grab a linux live CD, and see if that is any better - just to rule out windows.

Leave a comment:

• wullieb1
    replied

What is the RAID type and card type???

Any drive failures???

Install the latest available stable firmware and drivers for the RAID controller.

Leave a comment:

• JMD
    replied

I just tested a transfer from the RAID to the C-drive of the server, and i got roughly 15 MB/s.. so could seem like the RAID is having some trouble.

Leave a comment:

• JMD
    replied

Daft question but what updates were applied and have you tried removing them???

From what i can gather ATTO is benching the disks rather than the network. I've never used it.

Is the problem with the disks or while transferring from the server to a client??
    I tried removing all the updates that were applied at that date - also tried adding them again.. no luck.

ATTO is used to bench disks, but you can also bench a network disk.

The issue im having, is that i get terrible transfer speeds to the server. From the server and to my workstation is no problem (for some reason).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X