• Show
Clear All

• Slow transfer speed in 2008 server

Specs:
    - Windows 2008 x64 Server
    - EPoX motherboard with an Opteron 170
    - Adaptec 3805
    - 8x 2TB Seagate

My problem started a few weeks ago. Suddenly transfer rate from server to stationary is only ~20 MB/s, where i earlier would get 100+ MB/s. I updated windows around that time aswell, so i thought that were the reason - however, i removed all the updates, and the problem still exist.

Ive tried disabling autotuning - didnt help. Ive disabled IPv6 - didnt help. Updated the controller driver - no change.

I ran an ATTO Disk Benchmark, to see if it were windows-transfer related, and i think this answer that:
    i52.tinypic.com/3503346.png

My problem now is: I have no clue how to fix this.

Any suggestions are more than welcome!

Re: Slow transfer speed in 2008 server

Can you explain "server to stationary" please -- printing springs to mind!
    Have you used perfmon to gather appropriate statistics
    Are the drives RAIDED, if so, how, and have you checked for RAID failures?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian --> "server to stationary" is when i map the server as a network drive, and copy a file from the server to my computer.

Havent thought of perfmon - tho im not sure what to look for in it. At the same date that i updated windows, mscorsvw.exe "stopped working". Not sure if its able to affect the transfer speeds in such way.

The eight drives are raided in a RAID 5. The is optimal. However, i did have a faulty drive at about a week ago - but it has been replaced.

Comment

I tried:

netsh int tcp set global rss=disable
        netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
        netsh int tcp set global chimney=disable

I also tried to disable Large Send Offload - no change in speed.

Server -> Workstation = 20-25 MB/s
        Workstation -> Server = 105+ MB/s

I dont get it.. i really dont.

Comment

Have you looked at any changes on the workstation side?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Have you looked at any changes on the workstation side?
            Yep, but i doubt the workstation is the issue. I run Win7, and another workstation runs Win7 - both transfers slow from the server to the workstation.

My 2nd server transfers just fine at 80 MB/s (the ethernet is a bit slower in that one) - tho its running Fedora instead of Win2008.

If you have a suggestion to something i should try, go right away - i'd open for everything (besides reinstalling, but it might come to that if i cant get it fixed).

Comment

Does your anti virus software have network scanning enabled?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Does your anti virus software have network scanning enabled?
                Havent thought of that! I disabled everything on my workstation, and it went up to 35MB/s - alot better, but still very far from 100+ MB/s. The server has no AV.

EDIT: And now it has no effect. I also disabled Windows Firewall, which at first seemed to help a bit, but now it has no effect aswell.
                Last edited by JMD; 4th June 2011, 22:06.

Comment

please check duplex settings on the server and the switch.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                    please check duplex settings on the server and the switch.
                    The server is set at "Auto Negotiation" - i can only manually choose up to 100 MBit full duplex, at the most. The switch is a 1GBit Linksys, with none available settings. I use CAT6e cables.

But the speed is fine with ATTO Disk Benchmark - Windows transfers just suck. Same goes for FTP - it is as low as the windows transfers.

Comment

well.. what speed does it say the interface is at ?

I mean.. i know it SAYS it's autoneg, but if you check the status of the link, is it at 100/FD or 1000/FD or something else.. ?
                      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                        well.. what speed does it say the interface is at ?

I mean.. i know it SAYS it's autoneg, but if you check the status of the link, is it at 100/FD or 1000/FD or something else.. ?
                        If i grab the status for the NIC, then it says that the speed is 1.0 Gbps.
                        I also have IPv6 disabled - i see no reason to having it enabled, but it still says "IPv6 Connectivity: Limited".

EDIT: Ive started a complete defrag using O&O software, to see if it helps anything (i doubt it tho). I cannot see if the links is half or full duplex - but the fact that ATTO Disk Benchmark can push 115 MB/s through, suggests that its full duplex.
                        Last edited by JMD; 7th June 2011, 11:44.

Comment

Do you have the latest NIC drivers installed???

Is the switch set to AutoNegotiate as well???

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                            Do you have the latest NIC drivers installed???

Is the switch set to AutoNegotiate as well???
                            Sorry for the late answer.

Yep, i have the latest drivers from EPoX - Windows Update cant find any new either.

The switch cannot be managed in any way. Its strictly plug-n-play.

Comment

you should find out the specific model of network adaptor (chipset etc) and see if you can find any referneces related to that specific card.

actually.. another way to assist diagnosing the problem would be to obtain a separate PCI/PCI-x network adaptor, disable the onboard and try using a separate one, see if teh problem still exists.

If the problem still exists, then you've removed the potential issues: cable, nic.
                              The next step will be to try a differenty switch (borrow one from someone.)
                              then it'll be the instalaltion itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X