Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scheduled job and increasing user profile issue

Hi All,

I've recently ran into a problem with huge profiles, which are only used to run scheduled tasks.

Every day, Ntuser.dat regtrans file is created with 512KB, with a Ntuser.dat.blf file with 64kb.

I was looking around, found some similar issues, but no fix, just a workaround, to delete the files.

Does anyone have a clue, why is this happening?

W2k8 x64, sp2.

Thanks,

TaTa

Re: Scheduled job and increasing user profile issue

sorry...? your scheduled_Task user is creating two profile files,

one of 512KB and one of 64KB?

Are you certain those are the sizes ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

yes.

I was looking around other forums, found similar question, but haven't seen any reply so far

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...d-7a7d31f68c1c

Comment

you realise that 512KB and 64KB is not really very big at all ?

Like.. it would fit on a floppy disk... ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

you realise if it is happening every day, when schedule runs, it can be a big issue? like a floppy disk shouldn't be enough?

Comment

ahh! a new file is created every day..
            ok.. odd.
            sorry, can't help

Comment

yea, i was sure after your first reply

Comment

Can you clarify:
                Does the profile GROW by 512/64K each day, or is that the actual size
                Do you delete profiles each day?
                What sort of account is the scheduled task running under?

Please give people credit for trying to help you, giving up their own free time to do so. You may wish to reconsider your last post.
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

im sure he meant it in good humour

It's my fault for not reading the post and interpretting it correctly..

Basically, his scheduled_tasks username created 2 new ntuser.dat file every day, each one taking 512KB and 64KB

Comment

But do they overwrite the old ones?
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No, I don't beleive so - it just keeps writing new ones, if I understand correct

Comment

Obviously, they are not overwritten - otherwise it wouldn't be a problem

If you've checked the link I've posted in my previous post, there was written a little bit more. I can paste it:

Hello Together
                        I have a service account backup_DC which is domain admin and is responsible for doing systemstate backup and
                        creating of ntds snapshot on Domain Controllers which are windows 2008 Standard Server.
                        The Jobs are configured in Sheduld Task and are running with this service Account user.
                        Every Time Sheduled Task is running, user profile of this account backup_DC is filled up with
                        thise NTUser.dat files increasing Profile Size and after several Months the Profile is about 3-4GB.

NTUSER.DAT{c640625a-bc9d-11df-a187-0025b3ae2ce3}.TM.blf
                        NTUSER.DAT{c640625a-bc9d-11df-a187-0025b3ae2ce3}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regt rans-ms

Either, when the user profile is deleted, and the user never logs on the machine, the profile is created, and is growing once again. The numbers doesn't represent any entry in the registry.

I was thinking of possibility of running the task with /noprofile option, however it would require to use non encrypted /password parameter in the batch.

Br

TaTa

Comment

Working...
                        X