Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSUS install

Hi,

We want to use the latest wsus on our domain . .

My idea is to install wsus on the domainserver or fileserver, but when the installation starts it asks about an IIS server . . (ofcourse . .)

The only problem is that we want to use one special IIS server for all kind of webapplications, and not running several IIS servers . . is this possible or

Re: WSUS install

uhm - I'm not quite clear on your question.

WSUS requires IIS - it's simple.
    Normally, a server would only have one installation of IIS, but you can have multiple web instances within that installation.

WSUS uses port 443 (among otherS)
    you can still run your other applications.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

we have server split as role, so we have a
      > domaincontroller
      > file- /printserver (connected to san store)
      > exchange server (connected to san store)
      > sql server (connected to san store)
      > iis server
      > application server

whats the best place to install WSUS, i was thinking of Fileserver and running the webapp on the special iis . . ? but this is not possible ??

Comment

basically, you have to have the IIS role installed on the server. It also needs a SQL database.

While I beleive you can choose where to put the SQL database, the IIS is the core component.

if it was me, I'd chuck it on the file server, as that likely has the most amount of space for the updates
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

WSUS will, if required, set up a new site on an existing IIS server using port 8530/1
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Install the compulsory (for WSUS) IIS role. You can later modify its security in such a manner that no one will be able to connect to it or access its pages. But don't forget to leave a door open for yourself, otherwise you will not be able to manage it from remote.
            I never tried it, but you can check and see what will happen if you stop the service after WSUS is fully installed and configured.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              You can later modify its security in such a manner that no one will be able to connect to it or access its pages. But don't forget to leave a door open for yourself, otherwise you will not be able to manage it from remote.
              IIS is not only used for management, but also by the clients. You can however require SSL for management and some client connections.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
              gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the first tips, but

downloaded but got same message over and over again

Last edited by TrevJans; 26th May 2011, 15:20.

Comment

I just get a image missing icon...
                  What OS are you using, and what roles are already on it?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

"there is a problem with this windows installer package. a program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. contact support personnel or package vendor"

You'd need to go through the MSI output log and work out exactly where it went wrong.

PS - if you;'re using Serve r2008, I think you install this via add/remove feature - not sure if that's how you're doing it, or if you just downloaded an installer.. ?

Comment

You can do it either way in 2008, but adding it as a role ensures the correct pre-reqs (WSUS is still downloaded as part of the setup)
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

i try it first time with the downloader . . . error message, try it also as a part of 2008 . . . it starts downloading and after a while installing . . .

but the same error . .

i gonna walk trough the 'large' log-file

Comment

just tried again . . . still error . . see the attachment (two logfiles)

please help me out
                          Attached Files

Comment

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...0-714a49dda609

Comment

Several times . . but nothing

Installing WSUS on one Server in the domain, placing some database stuff on a separate sql server (SQL Server instance connection is good)

> Copying Files (finished)

> Configuring the database (stopped)

popup window:

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your spport personnel or package vendor.

I tried it with the downloaded package WSUS30-KB792455-x64 and i try it directly from the Server Manager Role installation . . .

also tried it with the internal database option instead of the remote sql server, but the same error

also tried the suggestion lodctr /R but nothing helps

I'm Stucked !

Comment

Working...
                              X