Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server 2008 R2 Failover Cluster with 2x NAS (iSCSI)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 R2 Failover Cluster with 2x NAS (iSCSI)

Click image for larger version

Name:	MCG-CLUSTER.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	468892

Click image for larger version

Name:	MCG-CLUSTER_1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	468893

Hi,

I need some ideas on how I could get two NAS unit (iSCSI) to complete my failover cluster for full fault tollerance.

I currently have two nodes in a failover cluster working with one NAS unit over iSCSI currently using FreeNAS on two PCs which will later be moved to 2x IOMEGA Cloud Edition which supports (SCSI-3 PR). The cluster is working great right now with one NAS. I'm not sure how I can add a second NAS to the picture , where the cluster will detect when one NAS goes down and failover to the second. I also need the (MySQL) database to be updated in realtime on both NAS units. I tried adding two disks to each HA "Services and Applications" but it didn't work well because MySQL (My.ini) could not point to two locations for the database.

I ran in to two issues:

1. Failover Cluster does not support Dynamic Disks (software RAID between the two NAS).
    2. The NAS units do not support software RAID on iSCSI volumes.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by shades; 16th May 2011, 18:17. Reason: update info

Re: Server 2008 R2 Failover Cluster with 2x NAS (iSCSI)

Originally posted by shades View Post
    [ATTACH]4821[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4822[/ATTACH]

Hi,

I need some ideas on how I could get two NAS unit (iSCSI) to complete my failover cluster for full fault tollerance.

I currently have two nodes in a failover cluster working with one NAS unit over iSCSI currently using FreeNAS on two PCs which will later be moved to 2x IOMEGA Cloud Edition which supports (SCSI-3 PR). The cluster is working great right now with one NAS. I'm not sure how I can add a second NAS to the picture , where the cluster will detect when one NAS goes down and failover to the second. I also need the (MySQL) database to be updated in realtime on both NAS units. I tried adding two disks to each HA "Services and Applications" but it didn't work well because MySQL (My.ini) could not point to two locations for the database.

I ran in to two issues:

1. Failover Cluster does not support Dynamic Disks (software RAID between the two NAS).
    2. The NAS units do not support software RAID on iSCSI volumes.

Thanks in advance.

I don't get it! Isn't the purpose of Failover Cluster, to eliminate any possible failures (H/W, S/W and Network)? If it only works with one storage device then this would be the single point of failure. I guess Microsoft was focusing on the Servers' Failover only and not the Storage.

Comment

Microsoft is not a storage supplier. You storage needs to provide redundancy.

In you fully redundant design also include an extra data-center, redundant switches, redundant power and cooling, redundant internet, redundant administrators, etc
      gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it's very expensive to get the high-end SANs which provide redundancy.
        I was able to get two disks working for certain HA by modifying the "Dependencies" (Disk 1 or Disk 2), like for MySQL service. I'm having trouble with the Quorum disk, MSSQL2005 and MySQL Database to work with two disks. I'll concentrate my search on getting MSSQL2005 and MySQL working with multiple database paths and one instance. Perhaps even replication. I don't think it's possible for the Quorum disk though.
        Last edited by shades; 18th May 2011, 14:34.

Comment

When using iSCSI you can use multipath to a iSCSI target. Also for the quorum lun.
          Getting SQL 2005 cluster installed on a 2008R2 server is a challenge. The 2008R2 version of SQL a lot more simple to install.
          gerth

Comment

Isn't iSCSI multipath used to provide mulipath to one iSCSI target (two IPs to one Storage unit)? Don't I need the opposite; one target LUN to two storage units?

Comment

Originally posted by shades View Post
              Isn't iSCSI multipath used to provide mulipath to one iSCSI target (two IPs to one Storage unit)? Don't I need the opposite; one target LUN to two storage units?
              That is correct, MPIO is multiple paths to the same storage, so if one path goes down the host can still see the storage. Also MPIO can provide better performance than a single path.
              Last edited by gerth; 20th May 2011, 17:35. Reason: typo
              gerth

Comment

You would need something like Steeleye DataKeeper Cluster Edition. Not sure what the pricing's like, and I'm sure there's alternatives but we happened to be looking at it recently for a similar setup as you require, but over a WAN to a datacentre.

You are correct in saying MPIO can provide multiple paths to a target but even if there was a way of having multiple paths to multiple targets, the data wouldn't necessarily be the same on both. There's nothing native to Windows that would allow for highly available storage.

Comment

You can also use software like starwind or datacore to create a highly available storage solution.
                  gerth

Comment

Thanks for all your input guys! You've confirmed everything that I've been suspecting. I'll update this post if I come across anything interesting and/or once I have finalized my project.

Many people have been looking for NAS devices which support (SCSI-3) SPC-3 persistent reservation;

Click here http://www.qnap.com/virtualization.asp?index=2&panel=1

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/...erviewItem_tab
                    Last edited by shades; 31st May 2011, 16:36.

Comment

Working...
                    X