X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 Foundation Terminal Services

Hello People,

This is my first post

I recently purchased a Dell Server preloaded with Server 2008 Foundation Edition with 64 bit.

I want clients on the SAME LAN to connect to it via Remote Desktop to launch an application. Do I need TS CALs for this? I have read other forums on the subject and I am really confused. Some people say you need TS CALs some people say 15 users can connect to the Foundation edition and it doesn't matter what method (file sharing, RDP, etc).

Also with no TS CALs loaded, I am able to connect at least one RDP session, I haven't tried any more. What is the correct answer to this issue?

Thanks!

Re: Server 2008 Foundation Terminal Services

for Remote Desktop: Administrative Mode (which is where you're talking about being able to connect as say the administrator via RDP) you don't need CALs, it's included.

IF you want users to connect to Terminal Services, then yes, you must have a TS CAL.
    You must also, incidently, have a user-cal for all your users anyway.

so if you have 15 users, but you need 5 to connect to TS for the application, then you need 15 user Cals, and 5 TS Cals.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I can add some infos here from Microsoft Webpage:

Because Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation is licensed in this way, you do not require Windows Server client access licenses (CALs). This also makes Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation much more cost effective for small businesses. Although Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation does not require Windows Server CALs, TS CALs or Rights Management CALs are required to use those server roles on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation–based server. The user/device limit for RMS and RDS CALs is 15.
      Expected Behavior

Being licensed for 15 users Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation has the following expected behavior when joined to existing domains.
      1. The system displays a warning message on the console if the number of users exceeds 15, or if added into an existing domain with greater than 15 users.
      2. The server running Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation can only be joined at the root of the domain and can’t be used to create child domains. In case joined to a child domain or used to create a child domain the server will display a warning and if not rectified will shut down in 10 days.
      3. The domain containing Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation must not have trust relations with another domain. In case the domain does have trust relationships the server will display a warning message and if not rectified will shut down in 10 days.

Regards
      Kevin Guerreiro

Comment

kevin I wasn't awarre of that - thanks mate.
        could you chuck in a link for me ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I got the infos from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...oundation.aspx

Regards
          Kevin

Comment

Working...
          X