Map Drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Drive

This happens all the time. If i go to a clients computer, any computer, it could be on my server, and mapped drives already exist, and i want to map another drive, it will work, but if i disconnect it, forget to do something so i go to map it again, it won't map, saying wrong username or password. Logging off and on won't work, rebooting won't work, ipconfig /flushdns won't work,

The only thing that will work is to disconnect all of the mapped drives, and map the one that is having problems first, or i have to use the computer name of the server where the profile name exists to log on, and that doesn't work all the time.

e.g

i can map with 192.168.1.20\folder,
    username and password

but when i disconnect and try to reconnect looks like this

192.168.1.20\folder
    server\username and password

Last bit of info, that may play a part.

I have a terastation, and i have servers, 2008 R2, i am pretty sure that this ONLY happens,when i have drives mapped to both locations. And i have to use the second example with both locations(nas and server) when the problem occurs.
    Last edited by Kobe 310; 16th May 2011, 01:15.

Re: Map Drive

Why are you having to specify a username and password? Are you running the servers in a workgroup or a domain?

I suspect you are using a workgroup and your "client" is remembering the last context supplied.

So if you connect to \\SERVER1 with SERVER1\user1 and then try to connect to \\SERVER2 by just specifying user2 it will autocomplete it to SERVER1\user2 which is incorrect.

If you built a domain then the same user accounts would be applicable across all servers.

Comment

Re: Map Drive

Why are you having to specify a username and password? Are you running the servers in a workgroup or a domain?

I suspect you are using a workgroup and your "client" is remembering the last context supplied.

So if you connect to \\SERVER1 with SERVER1\user1 and then try to connect to \\SERVER2 by just specifying user2 it will autocomplete it to SERVER1\user2 which is incorrect.

If you built a domain then the same user accounts would be applicable across all servers.

Some are part of a domain, some aren't.

I always specify the location, but it won't accept it. sometimes if i map using the ip adress, and it is successful, disconnect it, and immediately try to map again, i have to use the netbios name for it to map again.

So if i understand you correctly, if i map a non domain folder, using just the username and password, and it works, then map a domain folder, all is good, which it is, the autocomplete will always look for the first mapped domain\workgroup. and if the first mapped domain\workgroup is disconnected, if will now look for the second mapped domain\workgroup. Hope i'm right on that, cause here is where it get's more confusing, trying to keep up with what it does, it's like a lock combination, too many diffrent scenarios to keep up with to explain.

i could have something mapped in the domain, let's say 2 folders, disconnect 1 of them, in order to connect back, i would have to use the netbios name to map it.

if i'm right above, in which i think i understand you, i mapped a non-domain, then a domain, came back maybe a day later and mapped a non-domain, is any of this possible?
      Last edited by Kobe 310; 23rd May 2011, 15:56.

Comment

Working...
      X