Hello

I have 10 servers, all currently 32-Bit 2k3 SP2 (2k3 native) as follows:

On LAN:
    1 x DC, GC, File Server, BackupExec
    1 x DC, GC, Print Sercver, FSMO Roles
    1 x Exchange 2k3 (Standard SP2)
    1 x SQL 2005 (Standard SP3)
    1 x Citrix PS4 (Advanced)
    1 x Management (runs various applications - non critical)
    1 x Sybase (wish to do this last as it runs main client data database)
    1 x IIS Web Server (front end for Sybase client database)

On DMZ:
    1 x IIS Web Server (running front end for Sybase client database)
    1 x Citrix Secure Gateway and Web Interface

All servers are HP Proliant DLs (G4 and G5) and are all 64-Bit capable (although they run 32-Bit at present). They all have at least 12GB RAM and RAID optimised for their current use.

The plan is to upgrade all servers to 2k8 R2, also taking Exchange to 2010 Enterprise at the same time. There are no plans to upgrade SQL from 2005 unless necessary at the present time.

Citrix will be replaced by Remote Desktop Services in 2k8.

What I'd like a little advice on is what the best order is to do the upgrades.

I don't have spare servers, but I can setup workstations running server software as temporary servers to help with upgrade.

The work will be done out of hours (at weekends) so downtime is not an issue.

My initial thoughts were to do the DCs first, followed by Exchange.

Not sure how this will work with Citrix however - I cannot take Citrix down until I have got 2k8 RDS up and running (and staff briefed), but will Citrix PS4 run in conjunction with 2k8 DCs?

Also, are there any problems running SQL 2005 Standard on 2k8 R2? Do I need to upgrade this as well?

The Sybase and 2 x IIS servers will be done last - they run our business critical client database and web app and we need the developers in to perform this part of the upgrade.

Any and all advice much appreciated.

Thank you

Re: Upgrading 2003 to 2008 R2 Advice

To effectively use the 12GB, you'd need to upgrade to x64 OS. You can't do this in place - you must do a new build on each device.

Also, exchange will now only run on an x64 platform (well, technically, you can run 2007 on an x32 platform, but it's not supported for production use)
    You also cannot do an in-place upgrade from Ex03 to EX10 - you'll need to transition the environment.

Have you compatibility checked all your software?

To do it using in-place upgrades, you'd need to do your two DCs first, and upgrade them to only x32 platforms.
    THen you'd need to build an X64 server somewher, to put Exchange on.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I should ahve been a bit clearer I suppose.

I do intend to upgrade them all to 2k8 R2 (64-Bit) so would not be doing in place upgrades (which I don't like any way).

I just need to figure out the best order to avoid any issues.

Comment

1) move printers & FSMO onto file server (DC1)
        2) Rebuild DC2 using Server 2008 x64.
        3) migrate printers, files, backup exec, FSMO onto DC2.
        4) install 2008 on a workstation as secondary DC. Do not install roles or services except as absolutely necessry.
        5) rebuild DC1 using 2008 x64. Install Exchange 2010.
        6) migrate mailboxes to Ex-10
        7) flatten Ex03. Install 2008 x64. Configure as terminal server.
        flatten citrix. Install 2008 x64. Configure as management server.
        9) flatten mgmt server. Install 2008 x64 and IIS.
        10) flatten iis6 server. Install 2008 X64. Migrate SQL.

11) Install front-end for Tterminal services on Server1 in DMZ.
        12) flatten Citrix PS server in gateway. Install 2008 x64. THen install TS Gateway, sybase gateway.
        13) flatten original sybase gateway. Install 2008 x64. transfer sybase gateway.

that leaves you with just your sybase DB server, unless I missed something - bear in mind I've pulled this together in about 5 minutes, without mapping it at all.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank you - that gives me a startinng point

Comment

While I am getting my head round this - I assume I need to prep the forest/domain for 2k8 R2 at the very start of this process to make way for the first 2k8 R2 DC going online?

Comment

Yes!
              ANd you must run the correct version of ADPREP (32 or 64 bit) depending on the current DC's OS -- both are on the 2K8R2 media

Note adprep is non destructive so can be run in advance of installing the first new DC
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I understand that DHCP cannot be migrated as such, but that's not a problem for me as I can create from fresh and let everything get a new lease.

However I am a little more unclear about DNS. Will the DNS on my new 2k8 R2 box interact happily with the DNS on my remaining 2k3 box until I rebuild that the following weekend?

Comment

DNS: Yes -- AD integrated DNS talks across server versions
                  DHCP: IMHO best way is to reduce lease length NOW to short (1 hour) then when new server is ready, just set up scope identical to current one (obviously different DNS servers etc). When ready, deactivate on old server and activate on new, so clients will pick up new IP on renewal. Preferred IP is current one, so should be no duplicate issues.
                  Once new server has all leases, retire old one.
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X