X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing users to save data on a shared folder

Hi,

Here is the scenario....

I been told to implement a solution/method (GPO) to allow the desktop users to save their data on the shared folder created on there desktop. They should not be able to save data on the desktop (only) anywhere. The purpose of doing that is to force the users to save the data on the servers and not on the desktop so that we can have the backup of the users...

Secondly, is there any backup solution (windows based) which i can implement to take the backup for the users?

I am using Windows server R2 as ROOT DC and as of now i do not have file server but i have one server with windows 2008R2 ready and can be made a file server (if required)

Regards,

Re: Forcing users to save data on a shared folder

Redirected Folders is your solution.

that way, even if they save on the desktop, it's redirected up to the server anyway.
    And just apply some file system permissions to lock down the local drive

then, your backup needs to only consider the file system on the server where your redirected folders are located (and of course, you ARE already backing up your server, right ?)
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You can do it using folder redirection policy and also you can use xcacls.exe.

Comment

Thanks folks, i will give a try and check....

@techcamel: What sort of permissions i can apply using GPO for local drive lock....so that the user should not be able to save on the desktop also any good link for applying the folder directions. I did not use it before.

@Devil786: i never used xcacls.exe. before i will google it and check the results..

Comment

I got the folder redirection option enabled but the desktop lock option is still not found. any ideas?
          Last edited by cahmadh; 14th May 2011, 07:56.

Comment

Working...
          X